Salary $25.67 – $31.23 Hourly, $2,053.60 – $2,498.40 Biweekly, $53,393.60 – $64,958.40 Annually
Location: New Ulm Public Library, 17 North Broadway, New Ulm, MN
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Job Number: 89
Closing date and time: 11/7/2018 at 4:00 PM Central Time (US & Canada)
Under the general direction of the Library Director, to provide a full range of children’s and young adult library programming and services.
Essential Functions of the Job / Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Selects and orders electronically or manually all children’s and young adult books and media material.
• Plans, develops, administers and promotes children’s and young adult programs and activities, to include summer reading programs.
• Performs reference and reader’s advisory services for library patrons, including interlibrary loans.
• Conducts library tours and group orientation sessions for children, including use of the online catalog system.
• Performs public relations activities for children’s and young adult programming and performs school and public liaison functions.
• Conducts online resources training for children and young adults.
• Serves library patrons at the Service Center Desk as assigned.
• Writes grants to fund both children’s and young adult programming.
• Contributes to library publicity by creating flyers, writing articles and press releases, and proofreading library materials.
• Supervises support staff as assigned and oversees the Children’s Room.
• Analyzes books and media materials to maintain a current children’s and young adult collection.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA’s)
• Ability to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of children’s and young adult literature, reading materials, and developmental reading abilities.
• Ability to effectively communicate orally and in written form.
• Ability to read and comprehend effectively.
• Knowledge of and ability to use computerized library catalogs and standard computer applications.
• Knowledge of and ability to use the Internet and associated services.
• Knowledge of and ability to interpret children’s and young adult reading trends.
• Knowledge of or ability to obtain an understanding of the Service Center operations.
Education and Experience
Position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Library Science or closely related field and two years of experience in children’s and/or young adult services library environment. A Master’s Degree in Library/Information Sciences, with course work in children’s literature preferred, may substitute for the work experience requirement. A valid driver’s license is required.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions, frequently requires reaching with hands and arms and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, use of measuring devices, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).