Number of openings: 2
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Position number: 330109
Dept/Unit: Law Library/School of Law
FLSA Status: Exempt/Salaried
Employment type: Full-time Staff
Assigned months per year: 12
Benefits eligible: Yes
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Research Librarian position within the Law Library within the School of Law.
The Research Librarian supports the mission of the School of Law by providing strong research support for faculty scholarship and teaching; providing reference services to law school students, faculty, and staff and to members of the university and legal communities; teaching legal research; and assisting with a variety of other job-related projects and tasks as requested.
• Provide research support for faculty scholarship and teaching. (30%)
• Provide reference services to law school students, faculty, and staff and to members of the university and legal communities. (30%)
• Teach legal research. This may include, for example, teaching the legal research component of Lawyering Skills II and teaching legal research classes in the LL.M. in U.S. Law program, the Lawyering Skills III program, and other classes. (20%)
• Assist with other library and law school projects and tasks as requested. Examples include: preparing guides to information resources and library services; assisting with collection development; supporting the library’s web site; working on special projects, such as helping to make faculty scholarship available on UST Scholarship Online (Digital Commons); supervising student employees; preparing departmental reports and recommendations; and serving on library, law school, and university committees as requested or approved. (15%)
• Keep current on new developments related to the position through such activities as reading, doing online tutorials, participating in appropriate online discussion groups and blogs, and participating in professional activities. (5%)
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
Minimum qualifications: Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS or accredited equivalent) required.
Preferred qualifications: J.D. and two (2) years of professional law library experience preferred. Strong academic credentials preferred. Must be willing and able to share evening and weekend work. Expertise or strong interest in empirical legal research and technology skills related to the practice of law librarianship and the legal profession a strong plus.
Knowledge of: Print and electronic legal resources; principles and practices of legal research; electronic tools used in research, reference, and instructional work, such as LibGuides; database creation tools, such as Digital Commons; integrated library systems and discovery layers, such as Alma and Primo; social media tools. Solid understanding of principles and practices of professional library services, including reference and user services, technical services, and collection development.
Skill in: Planning, implementing, assessing, and improving library services; performing legal research; use of specialized electronic law library systems and databases; instructing students, staff, and others in the use of specialized electronic law library systems and in legal research; contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives, and activities; maintaining accurate records and files; preparing clear, accurate, and concise reports and other written materials; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships; time management; and juggling multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas (UST), Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at UST”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
UST is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Special Instructions to Candidates: Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.