Job ID: 2018-1078
# of Openings: 1
We are excited to share this opportunity for a four-year appointment as a Research and Instruction Librarian. This entry level position was created to support a temporary increase in student enrollment and subsequent impact on library services. This is an excellent opportunity for an early career librarian to gain valuable experience, knowledge, skills, and competencies to thrive in an academic library context. We are seeking someone who is enthusiastic, service-oriented, and interested in working in a highly collaborative, creative, and innovative environment. The successful candidate will be able to gain a depth and breadth of experiences and mentoring in an award winning academic library. Our college and library staff are committed to helping increase opportunities for individuals from underrepresented groups and are seeking applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Core responsibilities for this position include providing reference assistance and research consultations at our service desk, helping with interlibrary loan, assisting the Research & Instruction (R&I) librarians with teaching, planning, delivery, and evaluation of library instruction and research services, and collaborating with colleagues in the library on projects and special events. This position does require the ability to work some evenings and weekends. Other job responsibilities will be assigned as interests and expertise develop.
Our staff received the ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries for college libraries award in 2016. We are an active member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance.
• 12 month full-time position.
• 4 year appointment designed to support temporary increase in enrollment and impact on library services.
• Hours will vary but will include some daytime, evening, and weekend shifts.
• Funding will be provided for professional development such as attending professional conferences and workshops.
• Opportunities will be offered to explore the wide variety of possibilities in academic libraries in support of discovering and developing professional interests and passions.
• Position reports to the Associate Library Director for Access, Instruction, and Research Services.
• Provide reference assistance and research consultations.
• Provide instruction in conjunction with R&I Librarians.
• Develop skills in using a variety of library systems.
• Develop skills in processing interlibrary loan requests utilizing our current online systems (ILLIAD and OCLC).
• Develop skills in supervising student employees.
• Develop skills and participates in developing online user guides using LibGuides.
• Opportunity to gain exposure in a variety of our areas of focus such as Digital Liberal Arts, Open Access Publishing, Data Management, Digital Competencies, Maker Space development, scholarly communication and Open Educational Resource (OER) development, and more.
• Opportunities to develop professional competencies such as communication, assessment, presentation preparation, public speaking, and more.
• Other duties as assigned based on interests and with increased responsibilities as skills develop.
• ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library Science
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
• Ability and willingness to support, respect and commit to embracing diverse backgrounds, values, and points of view in order to provide an environment that nurtures an inclusive community
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than Friday, October 12, 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.