The James J. Hill Center, formerly the James J. Hill Reference Library, is a private, non-profit, business and entrepreneurial center, located in historic downtown Saint Paul on Rice Park. Since 1921, the Hill Library has housed a world-class collection of practical business information resources. Our mission is “connecting entrepreneurs, business and community.” In addition to our business information, we also host numerous non-profit, corporate, and community events.
We are a small organization with an incredible opportunity to take our ninety-six-year institution to the next level. We are seeking a motivated and self-directed Reference & Support Specialist to join our team. This position reports to the Business Outreach Librarian.
Responsibilities for this role include:
• Manage front desk operations and reception, with emphasis on creating a positive visitor experience.
• Manage the Hill store, including tracking and inventory, processing sales transaction, and creating displays.
• Administrative support to Business Outreach Librarian, Director of Library Services, and other Hill Center staff, as needed.
• Provide direction and support for reference visitors, including laptop checkouts, and technical/log-in help, as needed.
• Assist in and lead guided tours of the historic library and deliver the history of the organization to visitors.
• Create a positive work environment through flexibility, accountability, and leadership.
• Actively engage with visitors to create a welcoming experience.
• Attend mission related events as needed.
• Ability to work with a diverse public in a professional and courteous manner.
• Excellent communications and customer service skills.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a self-directed, industrious and proactive environment.
• Previous library experience is a plus but not required.
• Ability to work M-Th from 7:30am-4pm.
• Ability to work occasional nights/weekends for mission event support.
This is a 32 hour/week position which offers health/dental benefits, PTO, 403b matching, and life insurance. Starting pay is $14/hour, DOQ.
To be considered as a candidate for the Reference & Support Specialist position, send your resume, cover letter and three professional references with “Reference & Support Specialist” in the subject line to Lindsey Dyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be reaching out directly to candidates who move on to the interview process. No phone calls please.
The James J. Hill Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer; applicants of all backgrounds, ethnicities, ages, genders, and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.