Job ID: 322044
Job Title: Music Metadata Librarian (UL387)
Job Code: 9715
Location: Twin Cities
Empl Group: Acad Prof and Admin
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• Bachelor’s or advanced degree in music and a relevant degree from American Library Association accredited Master’s degree in Library/Information Science.
• One year minimum original music cataloging experience, applying current standards and systems including MARC, RDA, Library of Congress Classification, Library of Congress Subject Headings, OCLC Connexion, and library management and discovery systems.
• Reading knowledge and ability to catalog materials in German and Romance languages.
• Knowledge of music history, performance, literature and style periods, and specialized resources used in music cataloging.
• Experience with OCLC Connexion for cataloging and authority records and the appropriate coding and procedures for OCLC records to load correctly into the local catalog.
• Experience with principles of authority control, including selecting and applying controlled vocabularies and ontologies.
• Demonstrated ability to write clearly, succinctly and in a manner that appeals to a wide audience.
• Experience working with diverse groups of people.
• Experience creating and delivering clear and effective oral presentations.
• Experience working both independently and in cooperation with colleagues in a service-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Bibliographic knowledge of one or more modern foreign languages.
• Awareness/familiarity with existing and emerging metadata standards and schemes, such as RDF, XML, Dublin Core, linked data, and BIBFRAME and other metadata schemes used for • describing music resources.
• Experience or training in cataloging for the BIBCO or NACO programs.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and lead projects and manage workflows and diverse assignments.
• Experience in the design and integration of new technologies into cataloging & metadata services.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a strong collegial and participative environment.
• Evidence of ability to contribute to librarianship, research, and service and capacity for leadership within the profession.
About the Job
The University of Minnesota Libraries seeks a motivated, energetic, and collaborative professional to serve as Music Metadata Librarian. The ideal candidate provides intellectual access for music resources held by the University of Minnesota Libraries, especially for the Music Library, by performing original and complex copy cataloging for monographs, scores, sound and music recording, and digital media in accordance with local and national descriptive and encoding standards. The position will design, implement, and manage workflows for original and copy cataloging of music resources, as well as review and propose local cataloging policies and workflows relevant to music materials and advise management in metadata activities related to music materials. Metadata librarians work with the Director of Data Management & Access in coordinating metadata projects, training and mentoring support staff within the unit, and writing documentation. The Music Metadata Librarian will also participate in Libraries-wide efforts, such as digital library metadata development. The librarian will also contribute to the profession through research, publication, and professional engagement, as he or she works toward continuous appointment status. This position reports to the Director of Data Management & Access.