Salary: $23.56 – $34.45 Hourly / $1,884.80 – $2,756.00 Biweekly / $49,004.80 – $71,656.00 Annually
Location: Headquarters Library, 125 5th St S, St. James, MN
Job Type: Full-time
Job Number: 2017-03
Closing date and time: 8/22/2017 at 11:00 PM Central Time (US & Canada)
This is professional and administrative work in directing the operation of the County Library. Work involves responsibility for performing a variety of administrative duties in addition to supervising and performing professional level library work. Work is performed independently under the general supervision of the Library Board and County Board of Commissioners.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
• Prepares budget for Library Board and County Commissioner approval. Prepares monthly financial and statistical reports for the Library Board. Administers all activities of the library system according to policies set by the Library Board. These activities include but are not limited to: collection development, technical services, reference, budgeting, programming and supervision of the five libraries.
• Keeps informed of current developments in the library field through workshops, professional meetings, and professional literature. Directs and controls expenditures within the constraints of the approved budget. Supervises public relations activities including press releases, radio coverage and public speaking. Acquaints library staff with new developments in library services, resources and policies through staff meetings and workshops. Advises Library Board on long and short term goals for library services.
• Makes recommendations to the County Board and Library Board on hiring, and terminating staff. Supervises branch lead staff, Assistant Director, and oversees supervision of all staff.
• Works with the St James Friends of the Library and is involved in community activities. Acts as principal channel of communication between library staff and governing authorities. Oversees building maintenance. Performs other work as required.
• Responsible to observe all Watonwan County safety and health rules and to apply the principles of accident prevention in day-to-day duties.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
Training and Experience
• Requires graduation with MLS degree from an ALA Accredited Program. Requires substantial experience in areas of community relations, personnel supervision and management.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
• Extensive knowledge of library standards and procedures. Knowledge of books, authors and reference materials used in the library. Skilled in the use of computers, library related software and the Internet.
• Ability to train and supervise staff, and to plan and delegate work. Ability to objectively evaluate the work of others. Ability to develop work methods to obtain desired results.
• Considerable ability to communicate with staff and the public orally and in writing. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with county officials, employees and the general public.