Salary: $72,617.00 – $113,465.00 Annually
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: County Library
Job Number: 47005.17.001
8/7/2017 4:30 PM Central EXTENDED TO 8/14/17
POSTING TYPE: Open
HIRING RANGE: $72,617-$81,694/year (110 Grade Level)
LOCATION: Galaxie Library, Apple Valley, MN
4:30 p.m. on 8/7/17 EXTENDED TO 8/14/17
Come join us at Dakota County and “Be more”! The work County government does is unique. You will not be just another employee; you’ll be a valued employee making a difference in the lives of Dakota County residents every single day. We employ nearly 1800 skilled individuals whose talents and contributions makes Dakota County a premier place to live and work. Will you be the next person to join us at Dakota County?
Library Branch Manager III’s direct and coordinate activities of a large library in the County including staff supervision and the delivery of library services in a manner which will effectively meet community needs and ensure efficient library operations. They set priorities for staffing, services, scheduling and community connections. The position reports to the Library Assistant Director and supervises employees including Librarians and a Circulation Supervisor. As a member of the Library’s branch manager and all supervisor teams, they participates in proposing, planning and implementing system-wide services
• ALA accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science or a related field AND
• 5 years of Librarian work experience, including three years’ experience managing a public or branch library.
• OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE BEYOND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• 4 years of management experience in a public or branch library AND
• Experience supervising and coordinating the work of librarian and circulation staff.
• Experience in library building or remodeling projects.
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Supervise and lead staff at assigned library
– Select, supervise, coach, and manage performance of assigned staff at a large location.
– Encourage an environment of excellent customer service and teamwork.
– Oversee scheduling and determine staffing requirements.
– Coordinate orientation and training of new staff.
– Support staff in ongoing professional development about new library services and job skills
– Utilize effective communication and leadership strategies.
2. Manage the delivery and evaluation of effective services and operations.
-Coordinate and prioritize programs and services in line with Library strategic priorities.
-Manage implementation of services and procedures.
-Provide support to Library Administration to manage and improve library operations, programs, services and facilities.
-Supervise building use and security to ensure safety of facility and accommodate public needs.
3. Coordinate local community connections
– Guide outreach activities and services to diverse populations, groups and organizations.
– Develop relationships and form partnerships with local government and community organizations.
– Represent the Library at city and community meetings.
4. Participate in strategic and operational decisions and implementation in order to achieve library goals
– Plan and propose new projects or initiatives that would enhance branch operations and services
– Actively participate in Library teams to formulate and evaluate services, programs and procedures.
– Serve as project manager and/or team leader on local or small-to-medium scoped system-wide programs, projects or initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
1. Ability to provide effective leadership and to motivate staff.
-Clearly communicate the mission and objectives of the work unit.
-Demonstrate personal integrity, responsibility and accountability.
-Provide direction and assistance to a large staff of librarians and circulation support personnel in carrying out the objectives of the work unit.
2. Thorough knowledge of and experience with library systems, principles and procedures.
3. Demonstrated decision-making and flexibility skills/abilities.
-Ability to make decisions on collaborative and analytic processes. Acts thoughtfully and decisively.
-Ability to modify work activities to adapt to new information or changing conditions.
-Ability to view issues/problems from a variety of perspectives. Considers innovative or creative approaches when making a decision. Takes diverse views into consideration.
4. Excellent public relations and communication skills.
-Teambuilding and Inclusiveness: able to seek input from, work with, and present to diverse groups and individuals.
-Able to work effectively as a team.
-Deals effectively with conflict.
-Treats others with respect in all situations
-Embraces cultural, interpersonal, and all other facets of diversity
5. Experience managing and evaluating library collections.
6. Experience with process and project management
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is primarily sedentary, although there is some walking, travel, and carrying of lightweight items such as briefcases, notebooks, and work papers. The work is typically performed in an adequately lighted and climate controlled office. May require occasional travel.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.