Macalester College seeks to hire a part-time Library Associate – Evening and Weekend Supervisor to work in the Library. This position leads overall library building operations and services during scheduled evening and/or weekend shifts. The Evening & Weekend Supervisor provides sole staff supervision of library public service operations including circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, public computing, directional reference and reference referrals, customer safety, and building and collection security.
This position will work approximately 36 hours a week over the Academic Year, in accordance with the academic calendar. The schedule for this position includes 2 consistent weekday evenings from 3:30 pm until 1:00 am and rotating weekend shifts. This position will not work during the summer or college holidays, but will have opportunities to work during college events such as May graduation and June reunion weekends, and/or special occasions.
A sample schedule for this position is as follows (alternate days and times filled by other evening/weekend supervisor):
• Mondays OR Wednesdays 3:30pm-1:00am
• Tuesdays OR Thursdays 3:30pm-1:00am
• Alternating Fridays 3:30pm-10:00pm
• Saturdays 9:30am-2:00pm OR 1:30pm-10:00pm
• Sundays 9:30am-5:00pm OR 5:00pm-1:00am
• Some holidays and special occasions
• Summers off
DeWitt Wallace Library received the 2016 ACRL Award for Excellence for College Libraries and we seek talented individuals who are interested in continuing our tradition of excellence and innovation.
• Provide sole staff supervision of library public service operations including circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, public computing, directional reference and reference referrals, customer safety, and building and collection security
• Help maintain efficient workflow, procedures, and process improvements
• Ensure overall service desk staffing and daily operations as well as ensure the building is opened and closed as the daily schedule dictates
• Secondary supervision of ~65 student employees, training them in library policies, systems, equipment and procedures; stressing accuracy and the critical importance of confidentiality of library
• Provide excellent customer service as the first library staff point of contact for faculty, students and the community on evenings and weekends
• Resolve situations and problems with individual borrowers relating to lost/overdue materials by interpreting library policy and striving for resolution that leads to an improved understanding of community stewardship for library resources
• Ensure the proper and efficient handling of library materials including re-shelving and processing of returned materials. Coordinate shifting needs for entire circulating collection
• Create timely statistical reports relating to use of library collections and services, fulfilling needs of library assessment program and reporting requirements of external constituencies
• High School diploma or GED
• A minimum of 2 years library or related experience, or enrollment in a library degree program
• Associate or Bachelor degree
• Academic library experience
• Customer service experience
• Supervisory experience
• Attentive to detail, well organized, able to work steadily with a high level of accuracy
• Problem solving skills
• Experience with specialized library systems
• Proficiency with computer applications such as email, word-processing, Internet searching, and spreadsheets
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than August 14, 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately.