Job ID: 329110
Location: Twin Cities
Job Family: Libraries & Museums
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 8416A3
● A Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of related experience, or a combination of related education and work experience to equal 8 years.
● Demonstrated commitment to supporting a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
● Experience delivering in-person and virtual library reference services.
● A proactive approach to learning and using new library tools and technologies, such as citation tools and media equipment.
● Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library and Information Science
● Experience working in a higher education environment.
● Experience in training full time staff and writing documentation.
● Forward thinking with strong collaborative instincts and a systems perspective.
● Self-starter who can innovate in a dynamic and collaborative environment.
● Ability to adapt to change in a fast paced information resources environment.
● Experience conducting usability testing in library or other environments.
About the Job
Classification: Library Associate 3 A416A3 (Temporary Post – 1 year)
Service Point: Magrath Library, Natural Resources Library, Agricultural Biological and Environmental Sciences
This is the lead position for service design and assessment, user experience, and training for staff who interact with students, faculty, staff, and others in all St. Paul and other Libraries service points. This position ensures the effective use of best standards and practices in customer service that promote a welcoming and effective user environment, both within our facilities and online, including assistance in the coordination of system-wide virtual reference services, user experience and supporting information services in the Research & Learning Division. The position also contributes significantly to Research & Learning operations and program support in ABES.
Coordination of User Experience, Information Services, and Virtual Services (45%)
All activities will be conducted in collaboration with the user services co-coordinator at Wilson Library.
● Develops, implements and evaluates best practices for digital reference and other desk services libraries-wide, in coordination with user services colleague at Wilson Library.
● Plans and provides training and feedback to staff members related to reference and information services, including chat and email transcripts.
● Conducts analysis of current service standards and emerging trends, including gathering statistics and qualitative evaluation of digital reference interviews
● Conducts short and long range planning around user and reference services, including assessment of relevant technology and other tools used to support and promote library services.
● Defines goals and objectives of libraries-wide front-line user services.
● Seeks opportunities to collaborate and establish partnerships with libraries departments and other campus units, including the creation of digital content and services.
● Provides expertise for operations staff regarding relevant Libraries services and initiatives, and how they may relate to virtual reference or desk services.
● Provides staff training on information services..
Research and Learning Operations and Program Support (20%)
● Provides services, collections, and projects support in the three libraries supported by ABES (Magrath, NRL, and Vet Med).
● Participates in instructional activities of the unit, including creating and teaching classes.
● Uses specialized knowledge of collections and/or topics to assist in planning, preparation, and logistical support for events and exhibits.
● Assists with the development of online tutorials and other learning objects, and updates Library Course Pages and other web pages.
Department/Project/Committee Work (20%)
● Contributes to committees or working groups at a high level of expertise or working knowledge
● Leads and/or coordinates department or system-wide committees or working groups
● Provides orientation and tours to internal and external audiences (e.g. history day students, university classes)
● Assumes lead role in planning, implementing and managing complex projects and events.
● Coordinates work on special departmental/liaison programs, projects, and events.
Information & Access Services: (15%)
● Serves as a front-line staff for digital and in-person information services, answering questions in the campus-wide chat, email queues, Question Point and making referrals as appropriate
● Maintains awareness of and promotes evolving suite of specialized researcher support tools, policies, trends, and resources at service points.
● Instructs users on library equipment and technology.
About the Department
Magrath Library and Natural Resources Library (NRL) are part of the Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Sciences department of the University of Minnesota Libraries. The department manages three service points on the St. Paul Campus (Magrath, Natural Resources, and Veterinary Medical Libraries) and one at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum in Chanhassen. The mission of the University Libraries is to provide efficient, effective, and innovative access to and delivery of information and materials to users in pursuit of knowledge, educational goals, research, teaching and scholarship. Each service point contributes to the overall mission and goals of the University Libraries by serving the user in the best way possible.