Salary: $50,910.08 – $78,513.76 Annually
Location: 12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka
Job Type: Full-time
Job Number: 17LIB275aeb045
Closing: 8/21/2017 11:59 PM Central
Hennepin County Library (HCL) is seeking a Senior Librarian to coordinate online customer service, including Ask Us online services, for Hennepin County Library. This position will also work on web content on www.hclib.org, supporting access to online resources, and will work with a team of staff on the overall content and service provided through the site. In addition, this position will participate in supporting learning and development opportunities for staff, coordinating projects with library and county staff, and providing direct service to library patrons. This position reports to the Web and Online Services Coordinating Librarian in System Services.
HCL serves more than one million residents of the city of Minneapolis and suburban Hennepin County. The 41 library system offers more than 5 million books, CDs, and DVDs, materials in more than 40 languages, 1600 public computers, and an extensive website.
Our mission is to nourish minds, transform lives, and build community together. The HCL staff, board, and community envision a future where library services ensure every person has the opportunity and resources to read, graduate, engage, work, and learn.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
• Manage online customer service, including Ask Us online: www.hclib.org/askus.
• Manage online content to support self-reliant use and access to resources both in the library and remotely.
• Evaluate content for timeliness, relevance, and alignment with web standards and the Library Board Collection Development and Management Policy.
• Assist with testing and quality control for assigned areas of the website.
• Assist with data collection and reporting.
• Provide program and project management and/or serve as a team leader or team member on programs or projects.
• Respond to trends and developments in libraries and other relevant fields.
• Collaborate with staff across the organization to design, develop, implement, and evaluate online and system-wide programs and services.
• Supervise staff and coordinate work of teams.
• Manage small and large projects, and evaluate the project outcomes to improve services.
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
• Master’s degree or higher in library and information science from an ALA-accredited university and three or more years of professional library experience.
• Access to reliable transportation in order to travel to other library and community locations.
• Library patron service experience, including reference and readers advisory experience for patrons of all ages.
• Supervisory experience or experience leading staff.
– Working with and engaging a diverse community.
– Interacting with patrons and staff in an online environment such as QuestionPoint.
– Working with web and online content and online services, including knowledge of best practices in writing for the web, web usability, information access and retrieval, and trends in online services.
• Patience, skill, and resourcefulness in fielding questions and troubleshooting issues at all levels of complexity, from both patrons and staff.
• Excellent written communication skills and keen attention to detail.
• Ability to:
– Be self-guided and independent with individual responsibilities and to be an effective, contributing member of a team.
– Understand and represent to the public Hennepin County Library programs, services, and resources as well as guidelines and expectations for collection development, information services, and patron service guidelines and expectations.
– Manage small and large projects and evaluate project outcomes to improve services.
Invitations to interview will be based on an assessment of education and experience.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.