Salary: $49,636.51 – $70,836.27 Annually
Location: All Suburban Ramsey County Library Locations, MN
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 0428-18/10-003
Closing: 10/22/2018 4:30 PM Central
To provide reference services to Ramsey County Library patrons; to select and maintain materials for the collection; to develop and present programs; and to perform related duties as assigned. Librarian 1-2 is a professional class series and it is expected that incumbents will need minimal supervision.
(Librarian 1 is the entry level class for the Librarian 1-2 class series. Employees at this level are expected to have the knowledge and skills necessary to function at a professional level while gaining experience and developing the expertise needed to function at the full performance level.)
Examples of Work Performed
• Provide library patrons with materials or information in response to their reference questions by using online databases and other reference tools to search for information.
• Instruct patrons in the use of library technology and print and electronic resources.
• Assist library patrons at one-on-one technology and eReader labs.
• Maintain an assigned area of the collection through weeding and selection projects.
• Manage the collection development budget for the area to which assigned.
• Develop and provide children’s library services, including story times, school visits, and group programs.
• Develop and provide library services for teens, including school visits, community outreach and group programs.
• Develop and deliver library instructional programs for adults on digital literacy and life skills topics.
• Develop and deliver makerspace and technology programs for adults.
• Provide outreach services to the community through pop-up library events.
• Classify and catalog library materials using bibliographic utilities.
• Maintain bibliographic records in the online catalog.
• Serve as the senior staff person at a library in the absence of the library manager.
• Serve on committees and task forces, both internal and external, as assigned.
• Partner with departments, organizations, and agencies outside the library in the development of services and programs.
• Pursue professional development by attending meetings and workshops and by on-going self-directed study.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this work and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15
Education: Master’s Degree in library science or library and information sciences/services from an ALA accredited school.
Experience: None required.
Exam/Screening Process Information
The examination process will consist of the following section weighted as indicated:
Training and Experience Rating………………………………….100%
Examination/Screening Process: The examination for Librarian 1 will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire. The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on the answers provided. A candidate must pass the training and experience rating in order to be advanced in the process.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who filed a properly completed application and passed the examination/screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for an employment opportunity as a Librarian 1. This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to conduct interviews to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for three months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
Veteran’s Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran’s Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran’s preference should update their veteran’s DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance or national origin.
To print a paper application for this posting click Paper Application (Download PDF reader). You will need to print off this posting and also answer the supplemental questions associated with this exam and submit them if you complete a paper application.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Mirian Simpson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (651) 266-2711.