Opening Number: 1700462
Position Title: Government Information Librarian
Position Number: 00021612
Benefits Eligibility: Benefited – includes retirement plan and full coverage for family health insurance
Search by Group: Professional
Division: Academic Affairs
Position Summary Information
The NDSU Libraries are a Joint Regional Federal Depository Library with over 500,000 items in print and electronic formats. This position coordinates NDSU Libraries’ role as a Joint Regional Federal Depository Library, serving as liaison to the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP), ensuring that NDSU Libraries collection meets FDLP requirements, working with other federal depository libraries in the state, and providing reference and instruction services to NDSU affiliates and the larger community. This position also supports the Libraries’ participation in the State Government Depository Program.
The Government Information Librarian coordinates processing and cataloging of materials with the Resource Acquisition, Management and Discovery (RAMD) department, including adding select items to the NDSU Repository.
NDSU has served as a Federal Depository Library since 1907, becoming a Joint Regional Depository in 1968 and a selective State Depository in 1965. This rich collection offers many opportunities for researchers and a built-in collaboration with our joint regional at the University of North Dakota. North Dakota State University (NDSU) is a land grant university established in 1890 and is ranked one of the National Science Foundation’s top 100 in a number of areas, https://www.ndsu.edu/about/.
The Government Information Librarian will play a vital role in leveraging library expertise and in identifying new opportunities for partnering with and supporting instruction and research initiatives on campus and in the community in relation to government information, as well as with other depository libraries in the state. The main library underwent a renovation in 2015 and is located in Fargo, ND, ranked one of the best places to live, work, attend school and conduct business in the country, http://fargond.gov/explore/about-fargo/awards-recognition.
The responsibilities and duties are as follows:
• Select, assess and maintain government information collections and resources in all formats.
• Liaise with the Federal and State Depository Programs and with the University of North Dakota as a member of the North Dakota Joint Regional Depository.
• Serve as liaison to faculty, students, and subject librarians in the promotion of government information in academic pursuits.
• Provide reference and research services, assisting students, faculty, staff and other patrons in using and learning how to use the full range of resources available through the NDSU Libraries.
• Provide support for discovery, access, and management of government data.
• Provide information literacy and instruction services.
• Participate in scholarly activities, do committee work, and other tasks as assigned.
• M.A., M.S., M.L.S., or M.L.I.S. from ALA-accredited program by time of appointment
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and collegially with faculty, students, and colleagues
• Experience or coursework in providing reference services
• Experience or coursework in instruction
• Experience in an academic, research, or depository library
• Demonstrated knowledge of government information resources
• Knowledge and understanding of emerging practices, standards, and trends in academic or research library environment, including data management
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Two or more years’ experience working with a federal and/or state government document depository
• Two or more years’ experience providing reference and instruction services in an academic, research, or depository library
• Knowledge and understanding of cataloging standards and practices
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative in reaching out to students, faculty, or community members
• Demonstrated potential for engagement in scholarly activities, including involvement in professional organizations
• Supervisory experience
• Experience with ILS systems such as Alma
Screening Date: 09/18/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Search Type: Internal/External Simultaneously: Open to all applicants
Special Instructions to Applicants:
No Smoking Notice: As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
EO/AA Statement: NDSU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.
Veteran’s Preference Notice: This position is subject to North Dakota Veteran’s Preference requirements.
Location (City, State): Fargo, ND