POSITION TITLE: Director of Library Services
REPORTS TO: Dean of Academics
WORK HOURS: M-F, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM plus additional evening hours as needed
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Valid MN Driver’s License, current insurance or be insurable.
SUMMARY: The primary responsibility of the Director of Library Services is to manage daily operations and execute long-term plans in the Bezhigoogahbow Library at Leech Lake Tribal College. Bezhigoogahbow Library is a joint-use academic and community library; the Director of Library Services ensures equitable information access to this broad population while supporting the mission and educational goals of Leech Lake Tribal College. The Director of Library Services partners with colleagues and community leaders in developing library services, including undergraduate information literacy instruction, archive operations, youth library services, and outreach services.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in library science (e.g., MLIS) from an American Library Association accredited program preferred. Bachelor’s degree in a related field with at least two years’ library experience required.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Possess a strong commitment to and enthusiasm for public information access.
• Positive attitude, flexibility, and a genuine interest in helping people.
• At least one year experience handling public library services, including circulation, reference, readers’ advisory, and/orprogramming.
• At least one year experience handling technical library services, including acquisitions, cataloging, collection development, interlibrary loan, and/or systems administration.
• Prior experience with budget management desirable.
• Prior supervisory experience preferred.
• Ability to handle basic questions regarding computer programs and the Internet plus the ability to learn new library software quickly.
• Understanding knowledge of and commitment to the mission, vision and goals of LLTC.
• Experience working with the Ojibwe community.
• Demonstrated commitment to serving students from diverse backgrounds, interests, goals, and abilities.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a self-starter.
• Excellent organizational, planning, and prioritizing skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentially of records and information.
• Ability to interpret; adapt; and apply guidelines and procedures.
• Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
• Ability to work effectively as a team member of LLTC.
• Ability to pass pre-employment drug test and criminal background checks.
• Native American Preference.
1. Implement, develop, enhance, and assess academic and public library services
• Provide frontline circulation, reference, and computer assistance to library users of all ages and backgrounds
• Supervise library facilities, including materials, library software, equipment, space, and hours of operation
• Lead the development of library policies and procedures
• Plan and administer the library’s budget, including grant funds
• Initiate programs and services for all library users
• Acquire, catalog, process, develop, and organize materials belonging to the library’s physical and digital collections
• Supervise library staff
2. Align library services with the College’s vision, mission, and goals
• Collaborate with college instructors to provide in-class information literacy instruction for a wide variety of undergraduate courses
• Participate in college-wide activities, committees, and meetings as a representative of the library
• Collect and retain relevant library data to support college accreditation activities and grant reports
• Promote and manage interlibrary loan services for undergraduate and faculty researchers
3. Strengthen professional networks and connections
• Create connections and develop partnerships between external organizations and the library
• Collaborate with external organizations to provide outreach library services and/or library services tailored for a specific population
• Participate actively in professional development opportunities, including the annual Tribal College Librarians’ Institute, listservs, and workshops as funding permits
4. Other duties as assigned
Position Information: http://www.lltc.edu/open-positions/director_library_services
Application Information: http://www.lltc.edu/about-us/employment