$55,000 – $75,000 a year
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Fundraising: 3 years (Preferred)
Full Job Description
About We Need Diverse Books
Established in 2014, We Need Diverse Books is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was created to directly address the lack of diversity in children’s literature. We currently run 12 initiatives — including grants, mentorships, conferences, and educational resources — that are united under the same goal: to create a world where all children can find themselves in the pages of a book.
At WNDB, we strive to combat systemic racism and teach empathy by supporting diverse books and distributing them to schools and libraries. Our programs are designed to amplify the voices of marginalized creators, support diverse publishing professionals, and provide resources to educators and students nationwide.
The Development Manager will work closely with the Executive Director to develop a long-term fundraising strategy for the organization, grow our existing donor base, and achieve annual revenue goals, amongst other responsibilities. The ideal candidate will be energized by WNDB’s mission and its commitment to diversity, especially as the organization expands to provide more resources to teachers and schools about the need for diverse books.
This position will be a new role at WNDB, which will give the right candidate the opportunity to develop the office and grow a team as funding allows.
- Plan and direct all aspects of WNDB fundraising, including establishing our major gifts program, running four seasonal fundraising campaigns, and planning fundraising events surrounding WNDB’s Walter Dean Myers Awards. WNDB staff will assist on the events.
- Foster relationships with private foundation trustees; write and submit proposals and reports for private foundation grants.
- Communicate fundraising goals throughout the organization and equip board members with resources to assist in reaching them.
Secure Major Gifts
- Manage an already established portfolio of 50-100 major gift donors and high wealth prospects, for donations of $1000-plus.
- Identify major gift prospects from WNDB’s established network and develop compelling engagement strategies to solicit and close gifts.
- Make in-person and virtual solicitations, and assist board members and key staff with resources needed for their solicitation .
- Cultivate a significant prospects pipeline as part of WNDB’s evolving fundraising strategy.
- Set a strategy for the organization’s grant writing efforts.
- Develop and manage an ongoing grant calendar.
- Work with WNDB staff to apply for grants and track progress.
- Process grant agreements and all necessary administrative tasks associated with grants management.
- Write grant reports, including narrative and financial reporting.
- Working with the executive director, set a yearly strategy for fundraising events.
- Solicit sponsors for the annual Walter Dean Myers Awards, which is held every March in Washington, DC.
- With the help of an event planner, plan a dinner reception for Walter Award sponsors.
- Conceive and implement at least one other special event per year (virtual or in-person) for fundraising purposes.
- Attend regular, virtual check-in meetings with the executive director.
- Attend finance meetings as needed.
- Assist finance team with Network for Good, our donation platform.
- Assist with other fundraising-related activities as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Talents
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3 to 5 years of experience in development; major gift experience a plus;
- Exceptional organizational skills; demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; and ability to meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including proven writing, editing, and oral communications skills;
- Self-starter who crafts creative solutions and opens doors to new donor relationships;
- A passionate commitment to advancing diversity and equity in publishing, literature, and education;
- Experience with diversity-focused fundraising is a plus.
Commitment to Diversity
WNDB is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this full time position is between $55,000 to $75,000, depending on experience. WNDB offers benefits, including paid time off.
This position will be remote. The development manager will be expected to attend two in-person meetings per year as well as several in-person visits to major donors in the US (these meetings will be held virtually during the pandemic).
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and relevant writing samples and/or print pieces to jobs at diversebooks dot org. Relevant writing samples include letters, invitations, proposals, etc. WNDB will receive applications until the position is filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 – $75,000.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Fundraising: 3 years (Preferred)
- Fully Remote
Work Location: Remote