Job ID: 322043
Job Title: Cartographic Metadata Librarian (UL386)
Job Code: 9715
Location: Twin Cities
Empl Group: Acad Prof and Admin
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• American Library Association accredited Master’s degree in Library/Information Science or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience.
• One year minimum original cataloging experience, applying current standards and systems to include RDA, Library of Congress Classification, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and OCLC • Connexion and library management and discovery systems.
• Experience with principles of authority control, including selecting and applying controlled vocabularies and ontologies.
• Demonstrated ability to write clearly, succinctly and in a manner that appeals to a wide audience.
• Experience working with diverse groups of people.
• Experience creating and delivering clear and effective oral presentations.
• Experience working both independently and in cooperation with colleagues in a service-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Experience with OCLC Connexion for cataloging and authority records and the appropriate coding and procedures for OCLC records to load correctly into the local catalog.
• Original cataloging experience with cartographic materials, utilizing relevant descriptive and encoding standards such as RDA, AACR2, MARC formats, Library of Congress Classification Schedule G, Library of Congress Subject Headings and Genre/Format Terms relevant to cartographic resources.
• Bibliographic knowledge of one or more modern foreign languages.
• Knowledge of geospatial data cartographic concepts and terminology (e.g., scale, coordinates, projection, map production/reproduction processes and types).
• Awareness/familiarity with existing and emerging metadata standards and schemes, such as RDF, XML, Dublin Core, linked data, and BIBFRAME and other metadata schemes used for describing spatial/cartographic data, such as ISO 19115 and FGDC.
• Experience or training in cataloging for the BIBCO or NACO programs.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and lead projects and manage workflows and diverse assignments.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a strong collegial and participative environment.
• Experience in the design and integration of new technologies into cataloging & metadata services.
• Evidence of ability to contribute to librarianship, research, and service and capacity for leadership within the profession.
About the Job
The University of Minnesota Libraries seeks a motivated, energetic, and collaborative professional to serve as Cartographic Metadata Librarian. This position will also assist in the creation and maintenance of metadata for the Big Ten Academic Alliance Geospatial Data Project. The ideal candidate provides intellectual access for cartographic resources held by the University of Minnesota Libraries, including the John R. Borchert Map Library, by performing original and complex copy cataloging for sheet maps, atlases, GIS datasets, etc., in accordance with local and national descriptive and encoding standards. The position will design, implement, and manage workflows for original and copy cataloging of cartographic resources, as well as review and propose local cataloging policies and workflows relevant to cartographic materials and advise management in metadata activities related to cartographic materials. Metadata librarians work with the Director of Data Management & Access in coordinating metadata projects, training and mentoring support staff within the unit, and writing documentation. The Cartographic Metadata Librarian will also participate in Libraries-wide efforts, such as digital library metadata development. The librarian will also contribute to the profession through research, publication, and professional engagement, as he or she works toward continuous appointment status. This position reports to the Director of Data Management & Access.