Job ID: 317678
Job Title: Biosciences Liaison Librarian and Scientific Data Curator (UL377)
Job Code: 9715
Location: Twin Cities
Empl Group: Acad Prof and Admin
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• Master’s degree from an American Library Association accredited library school or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of scientific research methods and data collection processes.
• Knowledge of data repositories, preservation, and curation concepts and their application.
• Facility with technology and its application in academic contexts.
• Understanding of teaching, learning, and research trends in the sciences.
• Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated creativity, initiative, and self-direction.
• Ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and library users in a service-oriented, research-intensive environment.
• Undergraduate or graduate science degree.
• Experience working with data in a research setting.
• Understanding of collection development issues and processes.
• Education and/or training in research data management best practices and techniques.
• Familiarity with metadata standards, creation, schemas, or management.
• Knowledge of software packages and file formats for collecting and analyzing scientific data, such as R, SQL, MATLAB, Python, as well as tools and workflows for supporting reproducible research.
• Relevant discipline-specific experience in an academic or research library in a research-intensive environment.
• Understanding of trends in academic research support and expertise in providing research lifecycle support.
• Demonstrated experience working effectively to support diverse populations of library users.
• Experience in developing and delivering instruction in an academic library environment.
About the Job
The University of Minnesota Libraries invites applications for a creative, innovative, and enthusiastic science librarian. We seek applicants who combine skills in outreach, technology, and subject expertise to help shape the future of library services. The Biosciences Liaison Librarian and Scientific Data Curator will be based in C. Peter Magrath Library (http://magrath.lib.umn.edu/) and report to the Director for Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Sciences (ABES), one of five departments in the Research & Learning Division.
Interdisciplinary and collaborative research and learning figure prominently in the University of Minnesota’s priorities and are a focus of this position. The successful candidate will serve as liaison to designated academic departments and research centers in the biological sciences, forging new relationships with faculty and students and creating new services that respond to trends in scientific research in those disciplines. The incumbent will also serve as Research Services Coordinator for the ABES department and as a curator for scientific data in the Data Repository for the University of Minnesota (DRUM), working closely with the Data Management/Curation Lead, the Research Data Services Team, and several disciplinary specialists to provide University Libraries data management and curation services.
Areas of focus will include: working with faculty to explore new models of scholarly communication; collaborating with faculty and library colleagues, including Web Services, to create innovative tools for supporting the interdisciplinary research process; identifying and supporting other research needs, such as data management and personal information management; and integrating information literacy into key courses for undergraduate and graduate students. The successful candidate will also contribute to the profession as they work toward continuous appointment.
• Contribute to the development of data-related repository activities, workflows, and policies.
• Execute technical processes involved in managing the lifecycle of digital datasets in order to maintain the integrity of and access to archived datasets; e.g., data transformation projects.
• Serve as functional expert for consultations with UMN researchers on data issues and services (e.g., data management planning) and the development and delivery of training and instructional materials on data curation.
• Process submissions for depositing and archiving datasets in the digital repository.
• Develop strong connections with a diverse population of faculty and students to determine and address service needs.
• Seek opportunities for collaborative partnerships with designated departments and research centers.
• Provide research lifecycle support and leadership, including shared service development in areas such as data management planning, research networking, and personal information management.
• Support teaching and learning needs of assigned departments, including the Biology Teaching & Learning program.
• Select and manage collections in all formats for assigned subject areas.
• Provide leadership for and contribute to library-wide projects.
• Contribute to the knowledge base of the profession through research, publication, and professional engagement.
This is a full-time, 12-month, continuous appointment track academic professional position with probationary appointment at the Assistant Librarian rank with the potential for appointment at Associate Librarian. The Libraries offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits and substantial moving allowance.
Original posting and application information: Visit the U of M job posting page, click on “External Faculty and Staff Applicants” and search for Job ID: 317678