Req Number: 16044BR
Job Title: University Librarian
Institution: Walden University
External Job Description: Walden University invites nominations and applications for the position of University Librarian.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Center for Student Success, the University Librarian will oversee library services, budgeting, staffing, collection acquisition and development, information technology adoption and development, website development, and strategic planning in our completely online environment.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary, collegial and experienced leader, with the proven ability to manage, develop, and forward the strategic vision of an academic research library, while successfully implementing day to day operations and managing staff.
• The University Librarian will develop a vision to ensure that the Walden Library embodies a model of modern digital librarianship.
• The University Librarian will advance the research and teaching mission of Walden University by supporting the creation of new knowledge through scholarship, dissemination of knowledge through teaching and outreach, and creative piloting of ideas.
• The University Librarian will work closely with the university leadership and with deans and program directors to prioritize and focus future library developments, leveraging the diverse expertise of Walden’s liaison librarians.
• The University Librarian will foster relationships with the curriculum design team to further the information literacy outcomes of the University.
• The University Librarian will recruit, develop, motivate, and evaluate a library team in alignment with job expectations, professional roles, and the University mission.
• The University Librarian will establish meaningful, measureable goals, make data-driven decisions, and develop a culture of accountability among direct reports.
• The University Librarian will monitor financial and managerial reporting and make sound fiscal decisions to the benefit of the Library and Walden University.
• The University Librarian will be involved in campus scholarly life, forming relationships with students, staff, and faculty across the schools.
Walden University is a fully accredited research university with an emphasis on graduate and doctoral education. The Walden Library is completely online and staff work in both Minneapolis and remotely from around the United States. The UL will be located in Minneapolis at the academic offices of Walden. Walden is a fast-paced environment that would be particularly well-suited to someone with creative ideas who finds change exciting.
External Requirements: Required Qualifications
• The successful candidate will necessarily have experience in an academic library setting.
• ALA Accredited MLIS or equivalent with a combination of relevant library and academic experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge of key trends in library science, including the ability to evaluate emerging technologies.
• Experience with online delivery of library services.
• Demonstrated success in recruiting, leading, and managing library staff.
• Superb written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience with budgeting, financial management, and resource allocation.
• Experience with accreditation requirements.
• Work with remote staff and teams
• Work with doctoral and graduate programs