The University Librarian and Associate Dean of Academic and Student Support Services has the overall responsibility for library operations and student and academic support services, including
planning and assessment, and oversight and management in accordance with the mission, core values, and purposes of the university.
The University Librarian and Associate Dean must satisfy the following minimum qualifications:
1. Master’s degree in library science, information science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program required; and
2. Five years of professional library experience; experience in library administration and management in higher education, including developing and maintaining partnerships with other
libraries and consortia, preferred. Preference give for demonstrated excellence in applying “user-focused experience” in an education setting.
Skills and Attributes
The University Librarian and Associate Dean must possess the following skills and attributes: entrepreneurial and proactive; strong analytical skills; thorough knowledge of current trends in
library and information science management; exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to foster collaborative and productive relationships; broad understanding and skills with relevant information technology; ongoing involvement with professional associations and consortia; commitment to excellent customer service and positive user experiences.
The University Librarian and Associate Dean performs the following essential functions:
1. Provides vision and guidance to library services & academic and student support services, including orientation, training and mentoring to support teaching and learning for students,
faculty and staff.
2. Maintains policy and procedures for library services and academic and student support services. This includes such items as collection development guidelines and effective resource sharing
operations to enhance student learning and effective teaching.
3. Budgets expenditures for system-wide electronic resources, student and academic support services initiatives, communicating with finance department and operates within approved budget
4. Acts as the official representative and advocate for library and academic and student support services within the university and externally.
5. Works with department personnel to maintain and report appropriate usage statistics and incorporate into decision-making.
6. Ensures departmental services meet all accreditation standards, provides reports and represents the university in accreditation compliance circumstances.
7. Demonstrates successful strategy execution and leads change.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Work Hours
A minimum of forty hours per week, plus other hours as may be necessary to complete job duties. A combination of day, evening, and weekend hours is required.
Reporting and Supervisory Responsibilities
1. The University Librarian and Associate Dean reports to the Provost.
2. This position has supervisory responsibilities to the following:
a. Associate Librarians
b. Distance Services Librarians
c. Senior Learner Support Librarians
d. PT–Distance Services Librarians
e. Learner Support Technicians
The University Librarian and Associate Dean must be able to speak, hear, see, read, write, type, dial, reach, and bend.
Periodic travel, including airline travel and overnight stays, may be required.
Check out the University Librarian job description and learn more about us at our NAU Online Library website or about NAU at its website. If interested in applying, complete the Employment Application; send that, a cover letter and your resume to Sarah Stohr, Associate Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org.