Position Title: Temporary Library Research and Instruction Associate
Position Summary: This is a temporary position working 20 hours per week with the hours being worked between Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The end date is uncertain.
To support the work of Research & Instruction Librarians to provide research and information literacy services. To provide research assistance to library patrons.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Support the work of Research & Instruction Librarians to provide research and information literacy services – 50% of time
• Create and maintain online teaching materials to support library instruction
• Provide individual, group, and classroom training in bibliographic management software
• Assist Research & Instruction Librarians with projects, tasks, and instruction as needed
2. Provide research assistance to library patrons – 45% of time
• Staff the research desk
• Conduct research consultations with faculty, students, and community patrons
• Staff online research support services, including email and chat
3. Work collaboratively and in tandem with peers at Carleton College as a member of the Bridge Consortium – 3% of time
• Serve on inter-collegial teams, task forces, and working groups as projects and initiatives require
• Participate in Bridge Consortium meetings and functions in order to provide access to joint library resources
4. General office responsibilities – 2% of time
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
• Attend meetings
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of academic research practices and library reference services found at undergraduate colleges
• Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, electronic bibliographic management systems such as EndNote and/or Zotero.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to be flexible in response to changing needs and priorities
• Ability to learn, adapt to, and teach new technologies and software
• Ability to work collaboratively and build relationships with colleagues
• Ability and willingness to support, respect and commit to embracing diverse backgrounds, values and points of view to build a strong and inclusive community including faculty, staff, students and constituents.
• Education: Undergraduate degree
• Experience: Experience working in an academic or public library or teaching at an academic institution.
• Education: Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program completed or in progress. Undergraduate degree in a natural science, mathematics, or computer science
• Experience: 1+ year of professional experience providing reference or research services in a library or teaching at an academic institution
Type of Position: Staff – Part-time Temporary
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Shift (Days/Hours): 20 hours per week. Exact hours to be determined. Hours will be between Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Salary Hiring Range: 15.00-17.00