Job Title: Systems Librarian
Opening Date/Time: Mon. 09/11/17 12:00 AM Central Time
Salary: Not Displayed
Job Type: Exempt, Administrative Staff, Full Time
Location: Saint John’s University, 2850 Abbey Plaza, Collegeville, Minnesota
Department: Hill Museum & Manuscript Library – SJU
The Hill Museum & Manuscript Library (HMML) at Saint John’s University invites applications for the full-time, benefit-eligible position of Systems Librarian. This position is the administrator responsible for managing vHMML.org, an online environment for manuscript studies, and associated services at the Hill Museum & Manuscript Library. The Librarian plays a key role in managing and maintaining HMML’s existing library systems, helping with development of vHMML, database and image management of the online manuscript collection, and technical support for patrons. The Librarian reports to the HMML Executive Director.
The Systems Librarian facilitates system upgrades and development of vHMML along with regular maintenance. The Librarian coordinates with IT Services at the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University, in addition to external programmers, developers and team members. The Librarian also ensures the integration of HMML’s systems and data with other libraries, institutions, and digital humanities projects, fostering the educational mission of CSB/SJU.
• Manages the online scholarly programs of HMML by coordinating the work of vHMML, OLIVER (the legacy electronic catalog of manuscripts), and other electronic aids for scholarship.
• Fosters collaboration among HMML staff and partners at other institutions to further the goals of vHMML; designing, creating and maintaining web applications and databases and associated computer systems.
• Coordinates HMML computer system infrastructure and best practices with CSB/SJU Information Technology Services staff.
• Manages project development with other programmers and team members who may be in geographically diverse areas.
• Assists with planning and grant proposals as required.
• MLIS and/or an MA/MS in Computer Science with a strong background in the humanities.
• Extensive experience with SQL database management and related databases.
• Familiarity with best practices for sharing and harvesting metadata across different library systems, particularly with standards such as DC, METS, EAD, OAI, MARC.
• Understanding of SEO harvesting issues regarding online databases and the Web.
• Knowledge of Linux and Unix system operations relevant to the platform(s) of vHMML.
• Familiarity with digital image platforms and iiif metadata standards (Mirador, Open Sea Dragon).
• Familiarity with current digital issues for libraries, museums, and cultural institutions.
• Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with other projects nationally and internationally.
• A willingness to provide technical support for scholars using vHMML and the ability to maintain data confidentiality.
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English.