Salary: See Position Description
Location: Various Throughout Dakota County, MN
Job Type: On Call
Department: County Library
Job Number: 41150.19.001
Closing: 4/19/2019 4:30 PM Central
POSTING TYPE: EXTERNAL – Open Competitive
HOURS: Part time, On-Call
HIRING RANGE: $22.99 – $25.87/hour (106 Grade)
LOCATION: Various locations throughout Dakota County
UNION: AFSCME 693
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on Friday, April 19, 2019
Want to be the reason kids love to read? Come join us at Dakota County and “Be more”! The work County government does is unique. You will not be just another employee; you’ll be a valued employee making a difference in the lives of Dakota County residents every single day. We employ nearly 1800 skilled individuals whose talents and contributions make Dakota County a premier place to live and work.
Applications received for this recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies at all Dakota County locations for up to one year.
The Substitute Librarian works under the supervision of a Branch Manager. Provides professional reference, reader’s advisory, assistance using technology and research services to assist library customers in finding information and effectively using it in their personal and professional lives. Related duties as assigned.
• ALA accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science
• 1-2 years of experience in a public library or similar setting
• Experience working with diverse populations and customers with limited English proficiency
• Bilingual skills
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Information Services: Match customer’s needs with information and resources in a meaningful, appropriate and professional manner in the library or in a virtual setting.
2. Technology Assistance: Provides technology and library instruction to internal and external customers; assists customers and staff in technology troubleshooting a variety of equipment and platforms including eBooks, databases, Internet, apps, and Maker technologies.
3. Support: Possesses and demonstrates an in-depth working knowledge of library system/catalog, Outlook, software applications, Internet, technology resources, equipment and computers to assist staff in providing service.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
• Knowledge of professional librarian reference and research methods and materials.
• Ability to effectively work with the general public using strong verbal and written customer service skills in public interactions.
• Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues.
• Knowledge of and skill in using digital resources and library technologies of all types.
• Knowledge of library literature and professional library organizations and networks.
• Ability to promote library materials, programs and services.
The work is sedentary and requires no special physical demands. The work involves minimal risks and observance of safety precautions typical of office settings. The work is typically performed in an adequately lighted and climate controlled office.
The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.