About the Job
0001 Temporary Casual appointment 14 hours or less per week
Carissa Tomlinson: Hiring Manager
Hourly Rate: $19
This position works within the Libraries Student Experience, Learning, & Outreach (SELO) Department. SELO coordinates an overall strategy for student learning, co-curricular outreach, and user experience with a focus on undergraduates and future college students. Staff in this department support student success through course integrated instruction, workshops, online tutorial creation, reference services, and student centered programming and outreach.
Job Duties/ Responsibilities
Library Instruction (75%)
- Teaches information literacy concepts and research skills through online and in-person course integrated library instruction and student research strategy feedback. Helps students identify the appropriate research resources (databases, guides, etc.) needed to successfully complete their research assignments.
- Consults one-on-one with undergraduate students to support their library research.
- Develops, updates, and maintains LibGuides in support of library instruction as assigned.
- May participate in other library workshops or instructional activities.
Student Outreach (10%)
- Supports student outreach efforts including setting up displays, creating signage and staffing tables or other in-person events.
Information Services (10%)
- Provides online reference services.
Administrative Support (5%)
- Contributes to SELO related project work as assigned by the supervisor.
- High school graduation or GED with 1 year full time equivalent library, clerical or related work experience
- Have strong computer skills including familiarity (as an instructor or a student) with using a learning management system such as Canvas, Blackboard, or Moodle.
- Strong commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Experience teaching, especially teaching information literacy skills.
- Experience providing reference services and/or assisting students with research assignments.
About the Department
Libraries Student Experience, Learning, & Outreach (SELO) Department. SELO coordinates an overall strategy for student learning, co-curricular outreach, and user experience with a focus on undergraduates and future college students. Staff in this department support student success through course integrated instruction, workshops, online tutorial creation, reference services, and student centered programming and outreach.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Job Applications” page and uploading documents in the “My Cover Letters and Attachments” section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to report complete vaccination against COVID-19 or submit documentation requesting a medical or religious exemption on their first day of employment. To learn more, please visit the University’s COVID-19 Response webpage.