Job ID: 315518
Job Title: Social Sciences & Professional Programs Department Director (UL373)
Job Code: 9715
Location: Twin Cities
Empl Group: Acad Prof and Admin
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• ALA-accredited Masters degree in Library/ Information Science, or equivalent combination of an advanced degree with relevant experience.
• Minimum of three years experience in progressively responsible positions within an academic library (or related) environment.
• Successful leadership experience, including the ability to lead and motivate librarians and staff and the potential for leading transformational change.
• Demonstrated understanding of scholarship and research processes, scholarly communication, publishing, and copyright issues.
• Demonstrated understanding of pedagogy and educational practices, and emerging library service models including eLearning.
• Experience with liaison relationships, research services, or content/collections management.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to supporting a diverse environment.
• Demonstrated creativity, initiative and self-direction.
• Ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
• Ability to work both independently and in cooperation with colleagues and library users in a diverse, service-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Understanding of technologies that support research, teaching and learning.
• Flexibility and openness to change.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in a social science field; or significant discipline-specific experience in an academic library.
• Experience in developing working partnerships with academic departments and other campus communities.
• Knowledge of emerging trends in learning science, research methodologies, research information/analytics, and research services, particularly in the social science, business, management and public policy disciplines.
• Experiencing managing and/or supervising staff.
• Experience in integrating new technologies into the delivery of information services.
• Experience in grant development.
• Project management experience.
• Record of professional activities, including research and engagement in professional organizations.
About the Job
The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Campus Libraries seeks a forward-looking and creative professional to develop a shared vision of library programs and resources to meet the current and emerging teaching, learning, and research needs of its social sciences and professional programs. The Social Sciences and Professional Programs (SSPP) Department serves disciplinary departments and programs in the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Education and Human Development, Carlson School of Management, and the Hubert H Humphrey School of Social Policy, and works with relevant interdisciplinary programs and scholars across campus. This position reports to the Associate University Librarian for Research and Learning.
The University Libraries is an integral part of campus life and a significant contributor of resources and programs within the metropolitan area, the state, and beyond. The Libraries provides a highly collaborative environment, distinguished by new models for teaching/learning, research support, and scholarly communication. The organization is known for its advanced web services, significant collaborative digital library development, programs of process improvement and organizational development, and a record of innovative partnerships. Outreach is strengthened by unparalleled infrastructure for resource sharing and information access within the state and region provided by the University Libraries-based Minitex program. The Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Big Ten Academic Alliance, the Center for Research Libraries, the Digital Library Federation, the Digital Preservation Network, and the Coalition for Networked Information, and is a founding partner in HathiTrust.
The Social Sciences and Professional Programs Department Director leads, shapes, and oversees the work of eight professional librarians SSPP staff have significant responsibilities in the areas of campus engagement, research services, teaching and learning, including e-learning, content and collections management, and scholarly communication. This position also provides leadership and support in development of entrepreneurship and research analytics services.
As a member of the Research and Learning (R&L) Directors group, the Director collaborates with the AUL and other R&L departments to imagine, define, implement, and support the next generation of services, tools, and collections to enhance teaching, learning, and research. As a member of the Libraries Leadership Council, the Director contributes to Libraries-wide planning, budget administration, and the development and leadership of major strategic initiatives. The position has a critical responsibility for collaboration and building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
The individual will also contribute to the knowledge base of the profession through research, publication, and professional engagement, as he/she works toward continuous appointment status.
This is a full-time, 12-month, continuous appointment track academic professional position with probationary appointment at the Assistant Librarian rank and the potential for appointment at the Associate Librarian rank.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Please attach the following documents in Word or PDF Format: (DO NOT copy and paste.)
Cover Letter (identify cover letter with UL373).
Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three current references.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Activities” page and uploading documents there.
This position will remain open until filled.