Salary: See Position Description
Location: Rosemount, MN
Job Type: Various Hours
Department: County Library
Job Number: 7004.17.004
Closing: 11/30/2017 4:30 PM Central
POSTING TYPE: Open
HOURS:Full-time (1.0 FTE)
Supervisor Peter Aldahl
HIRING RANGE: $15.73-$17.69/hr (Grade 103)
UNION: AFSCME – Library
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on 11/30/17
Come join us at Dakota County and “Be more”! The work County government does is unique. You will not be just another employee; you’ll be a valued employee making a difference in the lives of Dakota County residents every single day. We employ nearly 1800 skilled individuals whose talents and contributions makes Dakota County a premier place to live and work. Will you be the next person to join us at Dakota County?
Our current opening is at the Rosemount Library and is a 1.0 FTE. This position may include day, evening and weekend hours.
Working under the supervision of a Circulation Services supervisor and Branch Manager or Assistant Circulation Supervisor the Senior Library Information assistant will engage the public by providing exceptional customer service while assisting the public in the use of the Library. This includes managing customer accounts, finding check out and in Library materials, offering assistance and instruction on equipment and technology and managing workflow to accomplish duties in an effective, efficient and responsive manner.
High school diploma or G.E.D.
One year experience working with the public in an office or retail setting
An equivalent combination of education and experience
Proficiency or knowledge (ability to read, write and/or speak) in a second language
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Perform public service duties
a. Answer questions from the public in person, over the telephone and electronically
b. Explain clearly and concisely Library policies and procedures
c. Assist customers in managing their Library accounts including explaining charges and collection fines and fees
d. Create and update customer accounts
e. Circulation of Library materials
f. Instruct customers on the use of library facilities, equipment, the Internet, computer applications and other technologies
g. Assist customers in locating materials
h. Carryout cash management tasks that include collection, deposit and reporting
2. Facilitate movement of materials
a. Unpack and sort delivery
b. Unload book return bins
c. Search collection for requested or needed materials and process accordingly
d. Shelve Library materials
3. Work on specialized tasks
a. Process new materials, replace barcodes and security tags on existing materials
b. Track and report statistics
c. Order and maintain tax forms
d. Order supplies
4. Assist in the promotion and provision of library services to the public
5. Attend training sessions as approved or assigned by the supervisor
6. Participate on County and Library committees
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Duties 1-6 are essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
• Knowledge of Outlook, Word, and other software used in Library
• Knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and pronunciation
• Knowledge of basic math
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal, oral and written skills
• Demonstrated superior customer experience/engagement sills
• Ability to demonstrate creativity, flexibility, and initiative in accommodating customer and staff needs
• Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to complete detailed work accurately and efficiently
• Ability to operate personal computers and other office equipment
• Ability to alphabetize and file
• Ability to push/pull heavy book carts and lift/move boxes
• Ability to provide explanation and instruction on library equipment and technology
• Willingness to maintain flexibility in schedule and assignments
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed within a County library system. Operation of office equipment such as personal computers, telephone, photocopier and printers. Occasional lifting requirement of up to 25 pounds, pulling and/or pushing book carts, exerting force to up 50 pounds. Frequent standing, bending, twisting, stretching, crouching, reaching (forward and overhead) and grasping. Frequent wrist and finger manipulation due to high concentration of book handling and computer work.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435 (contact 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday)