TO APPLY: https://waukee.orangehrmlive.com/recruitmentApply/jobs
PAY RATE: $53,728 – $62,854
Please submit your application by February 24, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
JOB PURPOSE: The Senior Librarian (SL) supervises the public services staff and shelvers ensuring excellent customer service to library patrons. The SL manages the day to day operations of the Public Services Desk and responds to patron and library issues. The SL leads library initiatives, communications, and promotions.
(Order of Essential Functions does not indicate importance of functions.)
1. Works with the Library Director and implements a strategic vision and implementation plan for the library’s patron experience, communications, social media, and promotions.
2. Manages the Public Services Department. Responsible for leading and directing activities of the Public Services staff and for training all staff in circulation functions according to standard library operating procedures.
3. Responsible for hiring, firing, supervising, organizing, evaluating and encouraging development of direct reports.
4. Creates and maintains staff schedules.
5. Represents and promotes library through social media, written articles and newsletters, and community outreach.
6. Creates, manages, and maintains content for library website, social media, and other web-based platforms.
7. Reviews and recommends digital resources such as ebooks, online foreign language development, and research databases.
8. Provides quality customer service, readers’ advisory, new patron orientation and ongoing patron education, and answers reference questions.
9. Assists Director with policy and procedure development.
10. Assists Director with building improvements and issues.
11. Performs duties of the Director when assigned.
12. Performs other duties or assumes other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
1. Actively supports all efforts to increase cooperation, communication, and collaboration between and among staff, library patrons and volunteers.
2. Acknowledges and accepts the Library’s mission, respects the Library’s confidentiality regulations and maintains the integrity of the Waukee Public Library.
3. Maintains knowledge of current holdings and library resources, both print and electronic.
4. Continually seeks and participates in opportunities for continuing education and professional growth.
5. Improves the effectiveness and efficiency of all library operations with positive and creative approaches to challenges.
6. Demonstrates sound time-management skills by effectively and efficiently organizing, prioritizing, and completing multiple assignments in a timely manner.
7. Has a professional understanding of librarianship.
8. Understand and internalize the importance of seeking resolution to problems and concerns by bringing them to the direct attention of supervisor in a timely manner.
9. Be attentive to the City’s and the Library’s standards for customer service, accuracy, quality, efficiency and all City and Library policies and procedures.
10. Represents the City professionally and effectively to the community and library patrons.
QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE):
1. Bachelor’s degree in library science or a related field required, Master of Library and Information Science preferred.
2. Two years of supervisory experience desirable.
3. Iowa State Library Certification Level IV preferred, or ability to obtain this certification within the first two years of employment.
4. Experience in coaching and developing staff and volunteers desired.
5. Demonstrated success in interpersonal and communication skills.
6. Be comfortable working in close proximity to all age categories.
7. Must know how to use Public Access Catalog, electronic resources and other information technology sources to meet typical library needs.
8. Must demonstrate the ability to conduct a reference interview and be able to answer reference questions with authority and tenacity to meet patron needs.
9. Working knowledge of electronic services, Internet tools, social media and library related technology and trends.
10. Required to move or lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 35 pounds.
11. Ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on projects such as computer screens or detailed paperwork.
12. Be able to effectively communicate orally (in person and over the telephone) and in writing (using electronic and handwritten) in English with other employees, library patrons, and the community.
13. Access to transportation with insurance at required state levels to conduct business throughout the assigned area.
1. Climate-controlled office with hazards typical of that environment, minimal outdoor work is required.
2. Standard work hours must be flexible and include evenings and weekends.
3. To successfully fulfill the essential functions of this position, employee must maintain standard work hours within Waukee Public Library building.
4. There is no residency requirement for this position.
Waukee is part of the Des Moines metropolitan area located 15 minutes west of downtown Des Moines. With a population of approximately 20,000, Waukee is part of rapidly growing Dallas County which has 80,000 residents and is among the nation’s fastest growing counties.
Waukee is a friendly community that is especially known for its excellent schools, attracting new residents and development at a strong pace. As the city continues to grow and develop, there is a desire to maintain the sense of a close-knit community.
This Job Description is not intended and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Also, while this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the employer reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed as directed by the employer. Employee may be required to work overtime, different shifts or hours, outside the normally defined workday or work week. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment nor alter employee’s status as an at-will employee. Employee has the right to terminate any employment at any time and for any reason and the employer has a similar right.
Employees consider it a privilege to work for the City of Waukee and hold themselves to high level work ethics and personal standards. A criminal background check will be conducted. Individual will comply with the City’s drug testing requirements.