Reference & Instruction Librarian (Health Services)
Concordia University, St. Paul
The core purpose of the Reference & Instruction Librarian (Health Sciences) is to provide reference and instruction services to Concordia students, faculty, and staff. This is primarily achieved through working shifts as the Reference Librarian on duty, leading instruction sessions (in both face-to-face and online environments), developing instructional materials, research guides, and partnering with faculty in advancing information literacy as a student learning outcome. The librarian is a specialist in the health sciences and is focused heavily on outreach and liaisonship with students and faculty in the health science programs, though additional areas of responsibility are also included. In addition to reference and instruction activities, liaison responsibilities include supporting accreditation of new programs, developing and managing collections in relevant subject areas, assessment of services, marketing, and outreach.
• Commitment to the mission and values of a Lutheran University
• Master’s degree required from an ALA accredited institution.
• Minimum of 3 or more years of experience in public service within an academic library or comparable organization
• 3 or more years of reference experience in an academic library; experience providing chat reference; knowledge of library reference methods, knowledge of print and electronic library resources, commitment to continuous learning; possession of excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; commitment to excellent customer service
• Demonstrated ability to teach evidence based medicine and other professional health specialty resources, such as PubMed, CINAHL, and Cochrane is required
• Experience working with some or all of the following programs as a liaison: Physical Therapy, Nursing, Sport Management, Kinesiology, and other health-related programs is preferred
• Experience working with diverse users, and providing a sensitive, welcoming environment to users from all walks of life. Experience serving adult and distance learners. Supervision of student workers is preferred.
Application deadline: March 30 or until position is filled.