Job Title: Reference and Instruction Librarian
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 03/23/18 11:59 PM Central Time
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-Time, Tenure-Track, Probationary
Location: 700 East Seventh Street, Saint Paul, MN 55106, Minnesota
METROPOLITAN STATE UNIVERSITY, a vibrant and growing public, urban university, is seeking to fill a full-time, probationary tenure-track assistant professor position within the Library and Information Services beginning August 2018.
• Provide information literacy instruction, which may include some evening and/or weekend work.
• Serve as a liaison to select academic programs and departments and selection of print and electronic resources.
• Provide reference and research assistance, which may include some evening and/or weekend work.
• Faculty members are expected to demonstrate ability to teach information studies courses effectively at the undergraduate level.
• Engage in scholarly research or creative achievement.
• Provide evidence of continuing preparation and study.
• Contribute to student growth and development through advising and assistance and engage in service to the university and community.
• Outstanding candidates will demonstrate a commitment to serving a culturally diverse student body through delivering a student-centered education in a liberal arts and sciences context and will possess the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals.
• ALA accredited master’s degree in library and/or information science earned no later than August 20, 2018.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a culturally, economically, and linguistically diverse community.
• Knowledge of current methodologies in reference and research assistance and information literacy, and the ability to apply that knowledge in an academic and institutional setting.
• Experience providing reference and research services.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Flexibility and the ability to work positively in a changing, fast-paced environment.
• Recent experience providing library services in an academic setting.
• Experience delivering information literacy instruction and integrating information literacy concepts into teaching.
• Experience teaching lower division undergraduates in an academic environment.
• Online teaching experience including a demonstrated knowledge of, and competence in the use of, software and technology related to distance learning.
• Experience developing online information literacy tutorials, modules, learning objects, etc.
• Commitment to user-centered library services.
• Interest in new and emerging technologies and their applications in academic libraries.
Library & Information Services: The Library and Information Services exists to fulfill the information needs and foster the intellectual growth of the Metropolitan State University community. The library serves the students of Metropolitan State University, as well as community patrons from the surrounding neighborhood. The library and learning center resources cover two floors of the building, and houses the university’s print collection, as well as a large information commons space on the first floor. The library and learning center is a space shared in a partnership between Metropolitan State and the St. Paul Public Library. The two libraries frequently plan programs or host events together, to support academic learning and community engagement.
Please note: Filling of this position is contingent upon budget.
The University: Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State, serves approximately 11,000 students in the greater Twin Cities Metropolitan area. We are the most diverse university in the system, with approximately 41% of our students coming from communities of color. The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. We provide accessible, high quality liberal arts, professional and graduate education with continued emphasis on marginalized groups, including adults and communities of color. Recognized in 2008 by the Carnegie Foundation for Community Engagement and named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the university is committed to academic excellence and community engagement through curriculum, teaching scholarship and services designed to support an urban mission.
Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: www.metrostate.edu/security
Salary: Salary is commensurate with education and experience, and is determined by the salary placement process as outlined in the Inter Faculty Organization (IFO) Master Agreement.
* Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: http://ifo.org/contract-benefits/contract/
Application: To apply, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/metrostatemn/default.cfm
Applications must be received by 11:59 PM on Closing Date: March 23, 2018.
Qualified applicants are required to attach the following documents to their online application:
Cover letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position;
Current curriculum vita or resume;
One-page statement of teaching philosophy and/or examples of teaching effectiveness;
Names of four (4) references with addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers; at least two (2) of the references must be able to address teaching effectiveness;
Transcripts – Valid unofficial copies of your transcript showing conferred/awarded date of your highest attained degree, with your name and the academic institution’s name/logo are required. If doctoral study is in progress at the time of application, submit the most recent transcript showing your course of study and progress to date. We are not able to accept copy/paste word documents with a list of courses/grades or DARS reports. If selected for hire, official original transcripts will be required.
Additional materials may be requested at a later date.
If you need help submitting your online application, please contact NeoGov at 1-855-524-5627 for technical assistance.
For TTY, call Minnesota Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 7-1-1 or 1-800-627-3529.
If you have other questions related to this job announcement, please contact Human Resources, Search & Selection Specialist, Carla Ballard, at 651.793.1319.
Notice: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to Minnesota State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
Metropolitan State University is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.