Job Title: Post-Doctoral Fellow in Eastern Christian & Islamic Manuscript Cataloging
Opening Date/Time: Mon. 09/11/17 12:00 AM Central Time
Salary: Not Displayed
Job Type: Exempt, Administrative Staff, Full Time
Location: Saint John’s University, 2850 Abbey Plaza, Collegeville, Minnesota
Department: Hill Museum & Manuscript Library – SJU
The Hill Museum & Manuscript Library (HMML) at Saint John’s University invites applications for the full-time, benefit-eligible position of Post-Doctoral Fellow in Eastern Christian and Islamic Manuscript Cataloging. This position will provide vital support for HMML’s efforts to catalog recently digitized Eastern Christian manuscripts. Under the guidance of the Lead Cataloger of Eastern Christian Manuscripts, the Cataloging Fellow will undertake original cataloging of digital surrogates at HMML as well as revision of existing cataloging.
This is a grant funded position through June 30, 2018.
• Original cataloging of Arabic (including Garshuni) and possibly Syriac manuscripts from HMML’s digitization projects in the Middle East, India, and Africa.
• Correction and standardization of existing cataloging.
• Earned doctorate in history, theology, classics, Semitic languages, or cognate field.
• Knowledge of Arabic (including Garshuni) and associated literature in both Islamic and Christian traditions; knowledge of Syriac and associated literature is highly desirable.
• Direct experience of research using manuscripts, and ideally of description/cataloging of manuscripts.
• Experience with digital research in the humanities; ease with the use of common software and ability to understand and work with HMML’s digital platforms and tools.
• Good communication skills in both written and spoken English.
• Attention to detail; accuracy and thoroughness in work habits; ability to manage multiple, complex tasks.