Date of Availability: August 2019
Date Closing: open until filled
The Kasson-Mantorville School District No. 204 is seeking an Elementary School Media Specialist.
Join a highly motivated team in the Kasson-Mantorville School District with a commitment to excellence and innovation beginning 2019-2020 school year.
We are located between the cities of Kasson and Mantorville. Kasson is the home of a vibrant downtown district and Mantorville is known for its historic presence in SE Minnesota. The communities are fifteen minutes from downtown Rochester, home of the Mayo Clinic and IBM and approximately one hour south of the Twin Cities.
Kasson-Mantorville is a growing school district of 2,100 students, with numerous co-curricular and extracurricular programs and club opportunities. Coaching positions available
TITLE: Media Specialist
CLASSIFICATION: Teacher Master Agreement Salary Schedule
1. MN valid teacher license certification in teaching area assigned.
2. Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and five (5) years of successful teaching experience with proven record of improving student achievement.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
JOB GOAL: Facilitate learning for students and staff through the use of technology and media resources.
1. To aid teachers/staff in the location and choice of materials, both print and non-print, suitable for curriculum
2. To select materials which meet curriculum needs, provide enjoyment and promote leisure activities that are age appropriate
3. Establish media center policies and review them periodically, making adjustments when needed
4. Manage the media center as a flexible, multi-tasked learning environment
A. Instructional Leadership
• Supplement and reinforce appropriate media skills
• Encourage responsible behavior in the care and return of materials
• Monitor responsible behavior in the use of technology
• Assist students in locating materials appropriate to their reading and interest levels
• Schedule classes and small groups into the media center, supervise research and assist in behavior management
• Create a positive learning environment with strong student expectations
• Collaborate with staff district-wide
• Pursue professional development through active membership in professional organizations, attending professional workshops and meetings and reading professional journals
B. Collection Development and Maintenance
• Select and order materials appropriate for the grade level and curriculum of the building, but also provide materials for students who function above and below grade level
• Eliminate materials which are outdated, worn or no longer used
• Utilize cataloging skills in maintaining the online catalog and in preparing materials for processing
• Establish and update on-line circulation systems
• Participate in the planning and development of changes in the physical facilities and in the opening and closing of the media center
• Ipad/Chromebook Cart Management
C. Staff Relationships
• Consult with staff members when selecting materials
• Alert staff members to new materials they might utilize
• Provide bibliographies upon request
• Direct and support staff in the day-to-day operation of the media center
• Provide input into the selection of support staff
• Monitor and insure adherence to the copyright laws of the US in the utilization of the collection
D. Student / Teacher / Parent Relationships
• Maintain an active online presence through the KoMet web page
• Manage and develop special activities to promote the program of the media center
• Provide space within the media center, and cooperate with faculty wishing to use the media center as an exhibit space for student work and for class research projects
• Develop the media center budget with consideration for current and future resource needs in all areas with available budget
• Manage a program budget that balances print and non-print materials, purchasing, receipts and records to monitor budget expenditures.
• Maintain records of equipment repair expenses for long-range planning for replacement
• Assess the qualifications of candidates for open positions and hire employees to perform functions which help the media center attain objectives
• Evaluate employee performance as is necessary
• Supervise all selection, acquisition, technical services and users’ services
• Monitor the work area to insure it is a safe and healthy workplace for employees
G. Curriculum Development
• Team with teachers to identify appropriate information resources
H. Technology Leadership
• Instructing students in Digital Citizenship
• Research and implement new technology that supports personalized learning
• Provide staff development that furthers the implementation of 21st century learning skills