Organizational Unit: Library
Posting Number: 13347
Job Title: Loan Services Specialist
Benefits Eligible? Yes
Classification: Non Exempt (Paid hourly)
Status: Full Time
If part time, hours to be worked weekly
Working Schedule: 12 Months
Position Type: Regular
If temporary please provide Start Date
And End Date
Position FTE: 1.0
Position Summary Information
Purpose of this Position
The Loan Services Specialist is a member of the Loan Services Department, and has primary responsibility for supervising one of two main service points in the library.
This position supervises 3 staff members and approximately 35 student workers. This position is responsible for hiring and training staff members and maintaining good public relations with professors, staff, students, and the public.
Essential Job Functions – Responsibilities
• Hires, trains, and supervises three staff positions.
• Hires, trains, schedules, supervises, and evaluates loan services desk assistants. Coordinates scheduling to ensure complete staffing and smooth functioning of both desks during all hours the library is open (116/week), including weekends.
• Assists patrons and student workers with all aspects of public service (check in/out, holds, recalls, patron records, renewals, fines, and bills). Answers questions about loan services, explains library policies, and directs patrons to appropriate library staff member or department.
• Assesses current services and identifies improvements by analyzing assessment data and national academic library trends.
• Responsible for operational aspects of Circulation and Reserve desks including regular, extended hours, and emergency coverage, making decisions to depart from standard policy as deemed necessary.
• Maintains ongoing training and communication with students and evening supervisors on library and loan services policies, hours, and loan rules.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
• Monitors building security alarms, responding to emergency situations that affect security of library collection or well-being of patrons.
• Processes new books for shelving.
• Prepares items for shipments to St. Olaf.
• Oversees stacks maintenance during the summer.
• Provides back-up supervision of shelving, reserves, and interlibrary loan students as necessary.
• Participates in departmental, library, and consortium committees and workgroups.
• This position is a member of the Bridge Consortium and works collaboratively and in tandem with peers at the St. Olaf College libraries to ensure that work is not duplicated and that costs are contained or reduced. Additionally, this position may be asked to provide services to the St. Olaf College libraries, and is responsible for participating in all appropriate Bridge working groups, meetings, and functions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
• Previous library work experience in an academic library required.
• Supervisory experience required, with ability to train, supervise, and motivate employees for good results.
• Excellent communication and public relations skills.
• Knowledge of emerging technologies and their use in circulation, interlibrary loan, document delivery and distance education.
• Technological proficiency with demonstrated aptitude for learning new software and systems. Ability to incorporate new technologies and innovations into existing operations.
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Flexibility, enthusiasm, and ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and staff, and the general public.
• Ability to prioritize work and work independently.
• Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing environment and eagerness to learn new skills.
• Master’s degree in Library/Information Science or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
As per the Carleton Upward Mobility Program, priority consideration for internal applications will be given to those who apply by the close of business Wednesday, June 6, 2018. Pending the review of those internal applications, external applications will be considered at that time. External applications are welcome at any time.
Carleton College is a AA/EEO employer. We are committed to developing our staff to better reflect the diversity of our student body and American society. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.