Job Title: Library Technician (AA19150)
Job ID: 27348
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Class: Library Technician
Working Title: Reference Services
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 10/09/2018
Closing Date: 10/15/2018
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota State / Mankato State University
Appointment Type: Unlimited, Full-time
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift; 8:00AM – 4:30PM
Days of Work: Monday – Friday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $17.33 – $24.08/hourly; $36,185 – $50,279/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 – Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: Library Services
Location: Minnesota State University, Mankato
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This position assists the Library Services Manager, the Reference Services Coordinator, and other Reference Team Librarians in the delivery of high-quality library reference services to in-person and remote library patrons. Provides support for reference team members and other librarians for miscellaneous activities such as reference collection development and other miscellaneous support related to the services of the Library Reference Team. This position is also one member of the Public Access Team (PAT) that provides direct service to patrons in Memorial Library and provides essential access and library circulation services. The incumbent will work a weekly schedule that may require flexibility and may potentially include one or more evenings per week. This position is responsible for training, scheduling, and supervising student assistants assigned to the Tech Desk. The incumbent also provides direct user assistance, collection maintenance, and supports other library circulation points or elsewhere within the Public Access areas as assigned.
• Library classification system(s) and standard library reference tools sufficient to assist clients in locating materials and conducting research.
• Apply and support detailed coding or cataloging systems sufficient to create tracking for new print and non-print library acquisitions and locate and replace existing materials.
• Operate personal computers, use various software and web-based applications, and other office equipment sufficient to locate catalog information, word-process documents, complete forms and prepare reports.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing sufficient to determine and respond to the informational needs of clients of varied educational levels and backgrounds; to train, direct and evaluate work of student clerical staff; and to assist the professional library staff to maintain the library collection according to library policy and procedures.
• Ability to work independently and in cooperation with other staff members
• Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing priorities and changing procedures
• Close attention to detail with minimal error rate
• Ability to work within established policies and procedures to recognize problems or exceptions
• Knowledge of webpage development
• Knowledge of video editing
• Knowledge of web accessibility and user experience practices
• Ability to work with a diverse clientele
• Ability to embrace changes in technology, campus resources and personnel, and the adjustment of priorities and responsibilities and to integrate changes into current procedures and operations.
• Demonstrated ability to take necessary actions in trouble-shooting problems and refer to the appropriate party when needed
• Experience with instructional technology, such as web pages, instructional videos, or other class activities.
• Experience with editing and proofreading
• Experience collaborating as a member of a team
• Knowledge of the policies and procedures of Memorial Library and the locations of services throughout campus
• Knowledge of Aleph Circulation and MnPALS system is requested to perform assigned functions and to resolve problems
Physical health and endurance sufficient to:
• Bend, reach overhead, and lift items weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Push and pull carts of books and library materials that may weigh up to 200 lbs.
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
The Minnesota State University, Mankato Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available for your review. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the University. The policy statements address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security. Three years’ worth of statistics are included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on-campus, or in other University affiliated locations. This report is available online at http://www.mnsu.edu/safety/. You may also request a paper copy from University Security at 507-389-2111, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Original posting / application information: Visit the State of MN Careers Site and search for job id #27348