Job Title: Library Technician
Job ID: 21421
Location: St. Paul
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State, serves approximately 11,000 students in the greater Twin Cities Metropolitan area. We are the most diverse university in the system, with approximately 41% of our students coming from communities of color. The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
Job Class: Library Technician
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 03/26/2018
Closing Date: 04/16/2018
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Metropolitan State University
Division/Unit: Library & Information Services
Appointment Type: Unlimited, Full-time
Work Shift/Work Hours: 7:45 a.m. – 10:15 p.m. (Shifts vary)
Days of Work: Sunday – Saturday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $16.62 – $23.09/hourly; $34,702 – $48,211/annually
Shift Differential: For employees working on assigned shifts which begin before
6:00 a.m. or which end at or after 7:00 p.m., shall be $0.65 per hour on that shift
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 – Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: Library & Information Services
Location: St Paul Campus
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The Library Technician plays an important role in providing essential public service. This position coordinates the circulation of Library materials; helps coordinate the operation of the Circulation Desk including supply maintenance; issues fines and accepts fine payments; facilitates physical and electronic course reserves; maintains equipment; oversees the process for obtaining borrowing/access privileges and issuing ID cards; provides assistance to patrons with information and technological needs; and directs the work activities of student support staff.
The following qualifications are required of all applicants seeking consideration for this position. Only applicants whose resumes clearly demonstrate fulfillment of each of these minimum qualifications will be considered for the position:
• Working knowledge of library classification system(s) and standard library reference tools sufficient to assist clients in locating materials and conducting research.
• Ability to operate personal computers, use various software and web-based applications, and other office equipment sufficient to locate catalog information, word-process documents, complete forms, and prepare reports.
• Ability to apply and support detailed coding or cataloging systems sufficient to create tracking for new print and non-print library acquisitions and locate and replace existing materials.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing sufficient to determine and respond to the informational needs of clients of varied educational levels and backgrounds; to train, direct and evaluate work of student clerical staff; and to assist the professional library staff to maintain the library collection according to library policy and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to work in an institution with culturally, economically, and linguistically diverse clients and workforce.
• Ability to build and maintain good working relationships with staff, faculty, students, and the general public while providing excellent patron services to all library visitors.
• Experience with an Integrated Library System (ILS), e.g. Aleph or Alma.
• Experience working in an academic library.
• Bachelor’s degree
The School/Academic Department: Metropolitan State University Library is a unique facility housing the Dayton’s Bluff branch of the St. Paul Public Library as well as other university departments. Because of our location within a community and connection to a branch of SPPL, we assist many non- university affiliated patrons on a daily basis with computer help, directional questions, and general research assistance.
This position requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes and heavy hand tools or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. Even though the weights being lifted may only be a negligible amount, a job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Original posting / application information: Visit the State of Minnesota Careers page and search for job id #21421