Salary: $19.14 – $22.20 Hourly
Location: Duluth, MN
Job Type: Part-time
Department: Public Administration
Job Number: M1761
Closing date and time: 10/22/2017 at 11:59 PM Central Time (US & Canada)
Come work with us to continue our mission of promoting the love of reading and life-long discovery, helping ensure children are ready and excited to learn, offering robust connections to the digital world, and providing a creative and welcoming environment for all.
We are seeking customer service focused candidates who enjoy helping people of all backgrounds and working in a sometimes fast-paced environment. Candidates should be detail oriented and comfortable with technology.
We are committed to diversifying our workforce to better reflect the community we serve and encourage minority candidates to apply for these permanent, half-time positions. Please note that future full-time opportunities may become available from this eligible list or from future promotion within the Duluth Public Library.
Under supervision, using independent judgment, this position is expected to support the successful operation of the library by providing library services to the public, and processing and maintaining library materials and records.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Provide an outstanding customer experience to people of all ages and backgrounds, including children and families, by staffing a public service desk.
2. Assist library patrons who want to borrow, return, renew or place requests for material.
3. Teach patrons how to use library services and equipment.
4. With direction, recommend library materials to patrons and refer them to various services, collections, and areas of the library.
5. Assist patrons with library-related financial transactions.
6. Respect and maintain patron privacy.
7. Acknowledge complaints and problems, and resolve them within areas of authority.
8. Accomplish tasks that support the functioning of the Library.
9. Order, catalog, process and maintain various library materials.
10. Create and maintain patron database files following library policies.
11. Support interlibrary loan services.
12. Prepare, create, and execute reports in the integrated library system.
13. Provide outreach to the community.
14. With direction, plan, organize, promote and implement programs, displays and special events at the Library or in the community.
15. With direction, help promote and market the Library.
16. Under supervision, coordinate, schedule, and participate in the work and placement of volunteers and library staff.
17. Perform various duties as needed per work location.
18. Serve on and participate in special project committees, task forces, and work groups.
19. Maintain required records and statistics.
20. Under supervision, perform preliminary evaluation of existing library materials for removal.
21. Help train less experienced staff.
22. Collect, count, and prepare daily cash receipts for deposit.
23. Maintain office and library supply inventory.
24. Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot computer equipment and devices as required.
25. Prepare photocopies and mailings.
26. Perform related tasks as assigned.
A. One year of experience in a related position (examples include work in a library, bookstore, early childhood program, school, or customer service position); OR completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Education and/or experience must demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of the position.