Job Title: Library Technician
Job ID: 16579
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Leading for educational excellence and equity. Every day for every one. The Minnesota Department of Education serves a wide and diverse range of customers: approximately 850,000 K-12 students and their families; 118,000 young children participating in a variety of early learning programs including Head Start and ECFE; 82,000 adult learners participating in adult education programs including GED and citizenship programs; Minnesota’s 339 school districts and over 52,000 licensed teachers.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, pretax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Job Class: Library Technician
Working Title: Library Technician
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 9/28/2017
Closing Date: 10/17/2017
Open For Bid Date: 9/28/2017
Closed For Bid Date: 10/04/2017
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Education Department / MDE-Exc Res Acd-AFSCME
Division/Unit: Education Dept -St Paul / Braille & Talking Book Library
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Days of Work: Monday – Friday
Salary Range: $16.62 – $23.09/hourly; $34,702 – $48,211/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 – Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: Faribault
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
To ensure that Minnesotans with visual, physical or reading disabilities that prevent the use of printed materials have access to high quality library services through the Minnesota Braille and Talking Book Library (MBTBL);
Provide high quality customer service; answer routine telephone, in person and email reference and reader´s advisory questions from library patrons using the Keystone Library Automation system (KLAS); readers advisory online and print tools and other resources, provide technical assistance to library users over the phone and via email.
Maintain the library collection and KLAS catalog records so that the collection is readily available and the KLAS catalog accurately reflects item statusand patron request can be filled efficiently..
Assist librarians and library program director in data collection and administrative tasks, such as maintaining and troubleshooting library equipment, including computers, printers, audio visual equipment; compiling bibliographies and other findings aids to meet patron interests; write articles, informational materials or prepare short book abstracts for the MBTBL newsletter.
Working knowledge of library classification system(s) and standard library reference tools sufficient to assist clients in locating materials and conducting research
• Apply and support detailed coding or cataloging systems sufficient to create tracking for new print and non-print library acquisitions and locate and replace existing materials
• Operate personal computers, use various software and web-based applications, and other office equipment sufficient to locate catalog information, word-process documents, complete forms and prepare reports.
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing sufficient to determine and respond to the informational needs of clients of varied educational levels and backgrounds
• Assist the professional library staff with maintaining the library collection according to library policy and procedures
• Knowledge and experience with Keystone Library Automation Systems (KLAS)
• Background training, education or experience with providing library services especially related to serving customer who are blind or have a disability that prevents use of traditional print materials
Requires occasionally lifting of articles up to 50-pounds and frequent lifting and/or carrying objects such as boxes. This job requires walking or standing to a significant degree.
Original posting / application information: Visit the State of MN Careers site and search for job # 16579 (or use keyword “library”)