Job Title: Library Technician
Job ID: 19071
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Class: Library Technician
Working Title: Cataloging, Processing and Collection Maintenance Technician
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 12/26/2017
Bid Closing Date: 1/2/2018
Closing Date: 01/16/2018
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota State / Bemidji State University
Appointment Type: Unlimited, Full-time
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Days of Work: Monday-Friday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $16.62 – $23.09/hourly; $34,702 – $48,211/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 – Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: BSU’s Library
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The primary purpose of this position is to perform the routine cataloging and processing of new books and associated materials and to aid in maintaining the library’s electronic catalog database and physical collections. The holder of this position performs a range of technical and work directing tasks which support the day-to-day cataloging, processing, and physical maintenance associated with the library’s collections.
• Working knowledge of library systems and standard library tools including Library of Congress and Dewey Decimal Classification Systems sufficient to assist in the day to day processing and maintenance associated with the library’s collections.
• Ability to:
o Apply and support detailed coding or cataloging systems sufficient to create tracking for new print and non-print library acquisitions and locate and replace existing materials.
o Operate personal computers, proficiently use various software and web-based applications, and other office equipment sufficient to locate catalog information, word-process documents, complete forms, and prepare reports.
o Ability to adapt and learn various library-related software and programs in an ever changing software environment.
o Communicate effectively orally and in writing to sufficiently train, direct and evaluate work of student assistants; and to assist the professional library staff to maintain the library collection according to library policy and procedures.
• 64 semester hours (or equivalent) of post-secondary coursework.
• 4 semester hours of formal training or course work in computing applications including but not limited to word processors or spreadsheets OR 12 months continuous experience working in a position in which the applicant used a computer to perform a substantial portion of duties.
• Public or customer service experience.
• The applicant should demonstrate a knowledge of and interest in diverse cultures and populations.
More than 20%: Noise (Office building environment)
Less than 20%: NA
Frequent: sitting, talking
Occasional: Pushing, carrying, reaching, simple grasp, kneeling, lifting above shoulder, standing, stooping, pulling, walking
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Original posting / application information: Visit the MN Careers website and search for job id #19071