Job Title: Library Technician
Job ID: 25243
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Class: Library Technician
Working Title: Acquisitions and Serials Technician
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 07/23/2018
Closing Date: 08/14/2018
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota State / Bemidji State University
Appointment Type: Unlimited, Full-time
Work Shift/Work Hours: 7:30am-4pm
Days of Work: Mon-Fri
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $17.33 – $24.08/hourly; $36,185 – $50,279/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 – Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: BSU
Location: A.C. Clark Library
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The primary purpose of this position is to perform the tasks involved with the acquisition of online and physical resources for the library’s collections and the serials control of the library’s subscriptions and periodicals.
The holder of this position performs a range of technical work and tasks which support the day-to-day ordering, receiving, and paying for items purchased for the library’s collections, maintenance and access control on electronic holdings, and collecting data to assist in the analysis of the library’s holdings.
Working knowledge of library systems and standard library tools sufficient to assist in the day to day processing and maintenance associated with the library’s collections.
• Apply and support detailed coding or cataloging systems sufficient to create tracking for new print and non-print library acquisitions and locate and replace existing materials.
• Operate personal computers, proficiently use various software and web-based applications, and other office equipment sufficient to locate catalog information, word-process documents, complete forms, and prepare reports.
• Ability to adapt and learn various library-related software and programs in an ever-changing software environment.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing to sufficiently train, direct and evaluate work of student assistants; and to assist the professional library staff to maintain the library collection according to library policy and procedures.
• 64 semester hours (or equivalent) of post-secondary coursework.
• 4 semester hours of formal training or course work in computing applications including but not limited to word processors or spreadsheets OR 12 months continuous experience working in a position in which the applicant used a computer to perform a substantial portion of duties.
• Experience with library systems, preferably Aleph and/or Alma.
• Familiarity with the fundamentals of budget management.
• Knowledge of library acquisitions resources and vendors.
• Knowledge of print and electronic serials.
• Demonstrate flexibility in dealing with unexpected problems and changes in technology.
• Demonstrate attention to details.
• Demonstrate a knowledge of, an interest in, or experience with, diverse cultures and populations.
Frequent: Sitting, talking
Occasional: Pushing, carrying, reaching, simple grasp, kneeling, lifting above shoulder, standing, stooping, pulling, walking.
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Original posting / application information: Visit the MN State Careers site and search for job id #25243