Salary: $10.25 – $16.03 Hourly
Location: Various Throughout Dakota County, MN
Job Type: Intermittent
Department: County Library
Job Number: 9227.19.001
Closing: 2/18/2019 4:30 PM Central
POSTING TYPE: External – Open Competitive
HOURS: Intermittent – hours worked will not exceed 14 hours per week
HIRING RANGE: $10.25 per hour
LOCATION: Various throughout Dakota County
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on February 18, 2019
Come join us at Dakota County and “Be more”! The work County government does is unique. You will not be just another employee; you’ll be a valued employee making a difference in the lives of Dakota County residents every single day.
The Dakota County Library promotes lifelong learning for all ages of Dakota County residents. To support this initiative the County has libraries in the following communities: Burnsville, Farmington. Apple Valley, Lakeville, Inver Grove Heights, Hastings, Rosemount, West St Paul and Eagan. Library Shelving Assistants prepare, sort, place and maintain library materials in the correct location so that these materials may be retrieved by patrons and staff.
We currently have openings at the Galaxie Library in Apple Valley.
• Minimum 15 years of age.
• Knowledge or proficiency (ability to read, write and/or speak) in a secondary language,
• Experience working with diverse populations and customers
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Accurately shelves materials according to department guidelines.
2. Sets up carts in preparation for shelving.
3. Reads shelves to assure that books and materials are maintained in the proper location.
4. Helps maintain a neat and orderly library appearance by picking up books and materials from tables and shelves. Performs clean-up duties at closing.
5. Shifts books and materials during the shelving process and for specials projects as directed.
6. Empties book drop/checked in, sort bins and delivery.
7. Searches shelves for items on computer-generated lists; files customer hold items.
8. Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Duties 1-6 are essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
• Knowledge of alphabetical and Dewey decimal classification system.
• Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to handle heavy book carts and boxes.
• Ability to work independently.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed within the County Library system. Operation of office equipment such as personal computers, telephone, adding machine, photocopier and fax machines. Lifting requirement of up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis, frequent lifting, bending, reaching, pulling and/or pushing book carts, exerting force up to 50 pounds.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.