The James J. Hill Center is a nonprofit business reference library located in downtown St. Paul. We are dedicated to continuing the legacy of one of America’s finest entrepreneurs by creating a gathering place where ideas are shared and put forth that contributes to the economic value of our community.
The Hill continues to serve as a trusted resource for entrepreneurs who need relevant and current information to grow their businesses. We offer individualized services at each stage of business development: exploration, launch, growth, management, and maturation. In addition, we have partnered with other cultural organizations to host concerts, book readings, lectures, and art exhibits.
Location: Twin Cities Metro
Activity Area: Community Building, Volunteerism, Philanthropy
Category: Administration Support Services
Closing Date: open until filled
Job Type: Volunteer
We are looking for a current MLIS student or recent graduate to join our staff as an intern. While the internship is unpaid, our library is unique and can offer you the opportunity to learn a diverse set of skills. The Hill Center library is a special collection, a scholarly reference library, and a library that is open to the public, a rare combination. The collection also contains a variety of materials that will allow you to work with current, state-of the-art databases, alongside older archival materials of historic importance. The ideal candidate is passionate about library service and excited by the possibilities this library has to offer.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Staff greeter’s desk and business reference desk periodically, to help welcome our patrons into the space and to assist them with their research needs.
* Process special archival materials, ensuring they are preserved and well-organized.
* Create finding aids for archival materials. There may also be an opportunity to catalog materials.
* Shift general collection in stacks to reorganize collection and make room for new acquisitions.
* Other special projects as assigned.
* Dedication to library service and an interest in the James J. Hill Center’s mission.
* MLIS students or recent graduates preferred.
* Interest in archival and/or business reference work a plus.
* Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
* Creative thinking and the ability to see solutions where others see only problems.
The library is open from 10 AM to 5 PM Monday through Thursday. We’re looking for an intern who is able to keep a consistent schedule each week and stay for at least 3 hours at a time. The intern should be able to commit to at least 6 months of work with our library and may continue for up to a year. Hours range from 10-20 hours a week, depending on applicant’s availability and coordination with volunteers and library staff.
How To Apply:
Email your resume and a brief letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the phrase “Library Services Internship” in the subject line of the email.