Salary: $14.96 – $15.41 Hourly
Location: Rum River Library, MN
Job Type: Part Time under 30 hours
Job Number: 19008
Closing: 1/22/2019 4:30 PM Central
Are you looking for a rewarding career in the northern Twin Cities metropolitan area where you can make a meaningful difference in others’ lives and enjoy a positive work-life balance?
Our diverse Anoka County team brings next-level talents, personalities and experiences together in ways that make us both effective and efficient. Our team of nearly 2,000 employees is united by a common mission to preserve the public’s trust. We do this by bringing our very best to work every day and serving Anoka County’s 345,000 citizens in a respectful, innovative and fiscally responsible manner.
If your career aspirations resonate with our mission, we invite you to Find Your Path at Anoka County! Apply today to join the team!
Library Service Assistant
The Anoka County Library system enriches lives by connecting the community to ideas, information and inspiration. Library staff engage the public through a vast array of library services and resources.
Library Service Assistants help community members obtain library cards, learn about library offerings and opportunities, and keep books and media flowing throughout the system. They also assist patrons in managing their accounts, using technology and finding the best sources to fulfill information needs. Library Service Assistants are an active and essential part of the Anoka County Library team, serving a wonderfully diverse community of library patrons.
Two library branches are currently seeking part-time Library Service Assistants to join their teams. This recruitment may also be used to fill future part-time openings at any of our eight locations – Centennial, Crooked Lake, Johnsville, Mississippi, North Central, Northtown, Rum River and St. Francis.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
These examples are not all inclusive and are intended to be illustrative of primary responsibilities of a Library Service Assistant.
• Greet, inform and explain resources and services to patrons.
• Deliver consistent quality customer experience.
• Create and maintain patron records.
• Use computer systems to manage movement of library materials.
• Assist patrons with technology, including scanners, computers, tablets, and e-readers.
• Provide information and instructions to patrons about library use and services.
• Accurately enter assessment and payment of fines and fees using an electronic cash management system.
• May work at other locations within our multi-site system, as needed.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
• One year (2,080 hours) public service or customer service work experience.
• One year (2,080 hours) work experience with computers and computer software.
• One year (2,080 hours) work experience with a computerized cash register system and cash handling.
• Stand, bend, stoop, reach and carry for extended periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
• Successfully pass a criminal history background check.
• Two years of public service or customer service work experience.
• Two years of work experience with computers and computer software.
• Two years of computerized cash register and cash handling work experience.
• Numeric and alphabetical filing systems.
• Computer software.
• Clear communication and customer service skills.
• Data entry.
• Computer usage.
• Electronic cash handling.
• Communicate and collaborate effectively.
• Learn and change for continual improvement.
• Handle a varied work pace and variety of responsibilities.
• Maintain a positive, respectful attitude while problem solving and dealing with stressful situations.
• Thrive working in an environment with a high volume of public service to people of all cultures and age groups.
• Operate a computerized cash register system.
Anoka County Salary Schedule, Grade A007.
Normal hiring range: $14.96 – $15.41 per hour.
2019 salary range: $14.96 – $23.03 per hour. Career potential up to $24.62 per hour.
After successful completion of a six-month initial hire probationary period, eligible for a probationary period increase.
Anoka County Libraries are open varying hours, 7 days a week, between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Part-time hours vary from 20-28 hours per pay week. All schedules include days, evenings and weekends.
Currently available locations and work schedules include:
RUM RIVER LIBRARY
Every Monday 11:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Every Tuesday 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Every other Friday 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
CROOKED LAKE LIBRARY (initially)
CENTENNIAL LIBRARY (when re-open)
Week One: Thursday 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Week Two: Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Monday 11:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Thursday 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a review of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The most qualified candidates will be invited for an oral exam or interview. Some positions may require skills based testing as part of the selection process.
Include responses to all supplemental questions with your application no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date of the position. Resume and cover letter submissions are accepted but are not required. The resume cannot be used in lieu of the application.
If you have a disability that would prevent you from testing for a position under standard conditions or if you wish to submit Veteran’s Preference information, please notify Megan Will at 763-324-4324 so that every reasonable effort can be made to accommodate you.