Salary: $14.03 – $19.26 Hourly
Location: All Suburban Ramsey County Library Locations, MN
Job Type: Intermittent (On Call)
Department: 65A03-Pub Lib/Admin/FlexLaborPool
Job Number: 0327-17/06-001
Closing: 6/28/2017 4:30 PM Central
To provide assistance to library patrons in person and on the telephone; to staff the service desk, check out library materials, assist patrons with self-service checkout, process library card applications, collect fines and troubleshoot patron accounts; to shelve library materials such as books, periodicals, and media; to process returned library materials via an automated materials handling system or manual check-in or, to work in the Technical Services department of the library; to prepare new books and media for library circulation; to unpack shipments of new library materials; to provide clerical support to the interlibrary loan function of the library; to unpack interlibrary deliveries and check in and route returned items; and to perform related duties as assigned.
For library hours go to: www.ramsey.lib.mn.us Click on “Hours & Locations” and then scroll down and click to view the hours for each branch.
Most positions are part time and may require day or evening hours, or a combination of both. Most positions require staff to work weekend hours.
THE LIBRARY CURRENTLY SEEKS PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN AND ABLE TO WORK ON AN INTERMITTENT (ON CALL) BASIS.
Examples of Work Performed
Library Page in Public Services
1. Staff the service desk, check library materials in, collect library fees and answer account-related questions, assist customers with library card applications, update borrower records, answer phones and route calls, and provide assistance in person or over the phone to customers with general questions.
2. Check in and sort library materials manually and monitor the Automated Materials Handling (AMH) system.
3. Shelve library materials by arranging them in alphabetical order or according to Dewey Decimal number, as appropriate.
4. Check library shelves on a periodic basis to ensure that materials are being maintained in proper sequential or alphabetical order, and reorganize materials as needed.
5. Straighten bookshelves and common areas of the library to maintain orderliness and appeal of the facility.
6. Unpack and distribute library materials delivered from other Ramsey County Library and MELSA library locations.
7. Fill requests for library materials from other branches by pulling requested items from library shelves, and preparing and packing materials to be sent to designated branches.
8. Set up program rooms for library events.
Library Page in Technical Services
9. Prepare new books and other materials to be sent to library branches for circulation by affixing identifying labels, covering book jackets, and preparing cases for audiovisual materials.
10. Unpack new library materials received from vendors.
11. Check the accuracy of labels before sending new and reprocessed materials to library branches.
12. File and retrieve interlibrary loan paperwork.
13. Check in library materials that are routed through the Technical Services department, including items returned at other MELSA libraries.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this work and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Library Page in Public Services: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8
Library Page in Technical Services: 9, 10, 11 ,12, 13
Other: Must be 18 years of age and able to read, write and speak English.