Salary: $14.38 – $19.74 Hourly
Location: All Suburban Ramsey County Library Locations, MN
Job Type: Intermittent (On Call)
Department: 65A03-Pub Lib/Admin/FlexLaborPool
Job Number: 0327-18/08-002
Closing: 9/13/2018 4:30 PM Central
To provide assistance to library patrons in person and on the telephone; to staff the service desk, check out library materials, assist patrons with self-service checkout, process library card applications, collect fines and troubleshoot patron accounts; to shelve library materials such as books, periodicals, and media; to process returned library materials via an automated materials handling system or manual check-in or, to work in the Technical Services department of the library; to prepare new books and media for library circulation; to unpack shipments of new library materials; to provide clerical support to the interlibrary loan function of the library; to unpack interlibrary deliveries and check in and route returned items; and to perform related duties as assigned.
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list or search for a job description.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with personnel rules (i.e., promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction).
Examples of Work Performed
Library Page in Public Services
1. Staff the service desk, check in library materials, collect library fees and answer account-related questions, assist customers with library card applications, update borrower records, answer phones and route calls, and provide assistance in person or over the phone to customers with general questions.
2. Check in and sort library materials manually and monitor the Automated Materials Handling (AMH) system.
3. Shelve library materials by arranging them in alphabetical order or according to Dewey Decimal number, as appropriate.
4. Check library shelves on a periodic basis to ensure that materials are being maintained in proper sequential or alphabetical order, and reorganize materials as needed.
5. Straighten bookshelves and common areas of the library to maintain orderliness and appeal of the facility.
6. Unpack and distribute library materials delivered from other Ramsey County Library and MELSA library locations.
7. Fill requests for library materials from other branches by pulling requested items from library shelves, and preparing and packing materials to be sent to designated branches.
8. Set up program rooms for library events.
Library Page in Technical Services
1. Prepare new books and other materials to be sent to library branches for circulation by affixing identifying labels, covering book jackets, and preparing cases for audiovisual materials.
2. Unpack new library materials received from vendors.
3. Check the accuracy of labels before sending new and reprocessed materials to library branches.
4. File and retrieve interlibrary loan paperwork.
5. Check in library materials that are routed through the Technical Services department, including items returned at other MELSA libraries.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this work and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Library Page in Public Services: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8
Library Page in Technical Services: 9, 10, 11 ,12, 13
Other: Must be 18 years of age and able to read, write and speak English.
Exam/Screening Process Information
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and file a properly completed application, shall be placed on the eligible list for employment as an Library Page. This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to interview and fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for three months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list.
Veteran’s Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process. Veteran’s Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran’s preference should update their veteran’s DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.