The vibrant city of Washington, IA and our dedicated Board of Trustees are seeking an innovative leader for the award-winning, community-transforming Washington Free Public Library.
About the Community:
The library serves the Iowa cities of Washington, Brighton, and Ainsworth and the surrounding rural population, whose communities are at the southern tip of the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City Metro Area, also known as “Iowa’s Creative Corridor.” Washington has had a resurgence of retail, industry, and creative opportunities, especially in our nationally-recognized historic downtown.
“Take a wonderfully colorful town, fill it with nationally registered historic sites, vintage buildings and traditional festivities. Then add modern infrastructure, leading medical facilities and top notch educational programs. Stir in a limitless supply of community events and recreational opportunities and you have ‘One of the best small towns in America’ three time consecutive designation by author Norman Crampton.” (Washington Chamber of Commerce)
In Washington you will Discover a Classic.
About the Library:
The library was founded in 1877. Our service population is approximately 13,500 people. The collection consists of over 45,000 physical items and a strong digital collection. The Library Director manages an enthusiastic staff of 4 full-time and 1 part-time Librarians, 1 part-time Custodian, and 5-6 part-time Pages (for a total of 6.5 FTE). The FY18 budget is over $405,500 and proposed FY19 budget is almost $411,000.
The library is a well-supported and much loved institution in Washington. We occupy a beautiful 30,000 square foot LEED-certified facility, opened in 2009 in historic downtown Washington, IA. The library also houses the Grayson Archives, which is operated by the Washington County Genealogical Society, and provides office space on a weekly basis for an IowaWorks Advisor to meet with the unemployed.
The library has built strong relationships with local and regional organizations to support our mission and community. Examples of robust partnerships include University of Iowa Arts Share, L.E.T.’s Center for the Healing & Creative Arts, Latinos for Washington, Washington YMCA, and Washington School District. We are part of the Washington County Public Library Association and have an active Library Foundation.
The library has won the Larry Eckholt Award for Arts & Cultural Advocacy from the Iowa Cultural Corridor Alliance, the AAUW Education Award, and our Family Services Librarian was named the Washington Chamber’s 2016 Citizen of the Year for her work with youth.
The Washington Free Public Library Director reports to the Board of Trustees and works closely with City of Washington officials. The Director’s responsibilities include:
• Hiring, supervising, and building resilience among library personnel
• Preparing and administering annual budget and maintaining financial records
• Understanding the city’s library ordinances and laws affecting libraries
• Advising Trustees of financial, legal, and internal matters affecting the library
• Implementing the library’s strategic plans and policies
• Representing the library in the community and promoting services and programs
• Developing library collections with the assistance of Librarians
• Managing and maintaining the library building, computer technology, and all equipment
• Keeping the library a safe space for all
A Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited graduate school by start date is required. At least 1 year of supervisory experience in a library setting is required.
Vital qualities include:
• Excellent customer service skills
• Strong problem solving skills and willingness to get involved in day-to-day library tasks
• Passion for community service and partnerships
• The ability to think productively
• The ability to work well with people
• The ability to be an involved team leader of our enthusiastic library staff
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Good organizational skills
Compensation: Salary range of $48,500-$53,500 DOQ with excellent benefits package.
For more information, visit our position profile at www.washington.lib.ia.us/director
Submit a City of Washington application, cover letter and resume, including three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, please contact Margi Jarrard, Library Trustee, at 319-653-2726
Priority will be given to applications received before March 23, 2018 at 5 p.m.