The City of Lake Benton is seeking a part-time Library Director for the public library in Lake Benton, MN. 16-25 hours per week.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DIRECTOR
The director’s responsibilities center around the management and facilitation of the public library. Office management skills, program planning skills, and allocation skills are helpful. The
following overview gives an idea of the basic responsibilities of the library director.
DAILY OPERATION OF LIBRARY:
All library staff are responsible for daily operation. The director is the top of the responsibility chain. Patrons and staff come to the director with questions and concerns. The director works
with staff, board, and the city to ensure policies and best practices are followed, the collection is maintained, and the library runs smoothly.
FISCAL MANAGEMENT OF LIBRARY:
The director is responsible for the library’s fiscal management. The director tracks income and expenses, works with staff and volunteers to find grants and donations, orders supplies and collection materials, and keeps the library within the budget.
LIBRARY PROGRAM MANAGEMENT:
The director is responsible for overseeing the planning of library programming. A staff member may plan and facilitate the programs, but they will report to the director and coordinate with the
director on public interest, scheduling, and financing.
LIBRARY CATALOG MANAGEMENT:
The director is responsible for managing the library catalog and collection. The director has the final say in adding or withdrawing an item from the collection. The director contacts PCLS to
add new titles to the Koha catalog.
LIBRARY DATA MANAGEMENT:
The director is responsible for tracking library data. Data includes financial data, library usage, and programming attendance. This data is consolidated and reported to various entities including,
but not limited to the library board, the city council, Lincoln County, Plum Creek, and the state Department of Education.
LIBRARY BOARD RESPONSIBILITIES:
The director interacts with the Library Board as follows:
• Prepare the library board meeting agenda and distribute to library board members prior to library board meeting.
• Prepare directors report information as desired by library board.
• Prepare annual summary for library board and city council in January.
• Prepare Minnesota Department of Education annual report by April 1 annually (PCLS will provide necessary information as needed).
• Maintain library records as directed by library board.
PLUM CREEK LIBRARY SYSTEM COMMUNICATION:
The director interacts with Plum Creek as follows:
• Attend monthly Plum Creek Library System meetings.
• Become involved with PCLS committees as time and interest allows.
• Assure Lake Benton Library is following protocol under the PCLS rules for participation.
• Communicate with PCLS staff as requested and needed
LIBRARY COMPUTER MANAGEMENT:
The director is responsible for ensuring the operation of the library computers and internet.
It is the responsibility of all staff and board members to promote the library. Public relations can be assigned to staff, but should be proofed and okayed by the director.