Can you feel it?
That’s a gentle tug coming from a charming community nestled in the scenic St. Croix River Valley in western Wisconsin.
Osceola is a small town with a large vision. An impressive 175 years old this year, the town savors its rich history at the same time that it strides ahead with spirit. Less than an hour’s drive to the St. Paul-Minneapolis metro area in Minnesota, Osceola residents can readily enjoy big city offerings and then come “home” to their pristine and personal community.
You, too, can be part of this experience when you join our forward-thinking team as our Library Director.
The brand new Discovery Center features a library designed for 21st century needs, with dedicated and versatile spaces and resources for youth, teens, seniors and business professionals to gather, learn and interact. We are seeking an energetic, creative and personable leader for this unique facility. This individual must be an effective director of operations, with equally effective people skills, who will collaborate with stakeholders and organizations to discern and direct our library of the future.
Under the administrative direction of the Library Board of Trustees, the Library Director will coordinate and oversee usage, staffing, and resources of all public spaces in the facility to ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness. The Director will have oversight of all library operations and management including planning, budgeting, directing and coordinating services, programming, collections and other resources. In cooperation with the Village of Osceola, the Director will oversee the maintenance and safety of the Discovery Center building and grounds.
Employment Classification: Full time, flexible hours, salaried, exempt position
Salary: determined based on candidates qualifications
Closing Date: April 15, 2019
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Management and Administration of the Library
• Serve as the executive officer of the library and technical advisor to the board.
• Plan, direct and implement the policies and goals as established by and with the library board to assure the efficiency and effectiveness of all library operations.
• Direct the preparation, presentation and administration of the annual budget.
• Recruit, hire, supervise, evaluate and discipline library staff in conformity with library policy.
• Manage staff payroll and scheduling.
• Manage library funds and expenditures and prepare monthly financial reports for board review and approval.
• Prepare agenda and necessary reports for library board meetings, notify board and public of scheduled meetings.
• Develop and implement short and long term strategic plans.
Facility Management and Administration
• Prepare, oversee and regularly review a usage protocol for the public spaces within the Discovery Center including reservations, fees (if appropriate) and requirements of users.
• Oversee a formal Review Board to prepare and monitor guidelines for displaying art, printed materials or other messaging on walls, counters, monitors or other areas within the public portion of the Discovery Center.
• Work with the Village to ensure a safe, secure and well-maintained environment for patrons, staff and visitors. Review and make improvements as needed.
• Together with the Village, oversee the maintenance of the facility and grounds.
Programming, Service and Community Advocacy
• Oversee service programs and accessibility, connecting objectives to community needs.
• Establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with civic and community groups, government agencies and the general public.
• Serve as an ex officio member of the Mill Pond Learning Foundation Board assisting with strategic planning and project development extending beyond the library.
• Serve as an advocate and ambassador for the library and the community at large by making presentations, attending meetings, and acting as liaison to organizations, boards and committees as appropriate.
• Explore and identify new funding sources; prepare and submit grant applications as appropriate.
Collections and Resource Management
• Oversee selection, organization and collection development with consideration for community needs.
• Ensure an accurate, confidential, and up-to-date database of user registration and activities.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands of the Position
• Ability to lift up to 40 pounds, including bending, twisting and reaching.
• Capable of sitting, standing, walking and able to work in confined spaces.
• Speech, hearing and far/near vision qualities are essential.
• Ability to assist patrons with building evacuation in the event of an emergency.
• Must present a professional appearance. Business casual is the minimum dress standard.
Education, Knowledge and Skills
Master of Library and Information Science degree from a school accredited by the American Library Association, or progress toward such degree, is required. Three or more years experience in public library management, procedures, principles and planning is preferred.
Applicants must exhibit the ability and desire to be on the forefront of new technology, showing a willingness and aptitude to work and communicate with IT personnel and adapt to technology innovations and needs.
Strong written and verbal skills are required. Candidates must be able to effectively and personably communicate with patrons, staff and the public at large. Our Director will be an energetic self-starter who is flexible and adaptable, with an ability to assess and make sound decisions involving the facility, its patrons and the community.
Licenses: Must qualify for Grade 2 Wisconsin Library Certification.
Send resumes to email@example.com