Job Class: Office and Administrative Specialist, Intermediate
Working Title: Administrative Support Specialist (AA22184)
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 06/17/2022
- Closing Date: 06/24/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: MN St Colleges & Universities / Mankato State Univ-AFSCME
- Division/Unit: MnSCU Mankato SU / MnSCU MAN Classified E-H
- Appointment Type: Unlimited, Full-time
- Work Shift/Work Hours: 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Days of Work: Monday – Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $18.10 – $24.00/hourly; $37,792 – $50,112/annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 206 – Clerical/AFSCME
- Work Area: Library & Learning – Honors
- Location: Mankato – Based on the essential functions of this positions, MMB Policy #1422, and University policies relating to flexible work, this position will work Exclusively on Campus – A position that requires the employee to perform all their work at their campus work location – MH265.
- FLSA Status: Nonexempt
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support and office management for the Honors Program, Undergraduate Research Center and the Office of University Fellowships. This role serves as the first point of contact for our office and is responsible to work in a professional and friendly manner on a consistent and regular basis with people at all levels of the university and within the Minnesota State system, along with the general public.
- Communication: Ability to write and edit copy for expression, organization, strategic intent, grammar, style, word usage and sentence structure for a wide range of writing assignments including presentations, speeches, press releases, talking points, articles, op-ed pieces, etc.
- Ability to understand written and spoken English sufficient to maintain complex records, files, notes, and logs.
- Knowledge of English and customer service sufficient to explain the reasons for transactions and procedures, rules, laws, regulations, standards and policies so others understand the information they are being given and serve as an expert resource for outside agencies and individuals.
- Skill in using word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, graphic design, and other software applications to prepare reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, charts, graphs, invitations, and other items as needed.
- Skill in database management sufficient to set up and run basic queries, compile, research, and analyze information from multiple databases.
- Skill in accounting, budgeting, expense reporting sufficient to monitor and balance multiple budgets and grants, analyze various line items, ensure that spending is within budget and grant guidelines, and effectively recommend fund transfers.
- Ability to manage an office, and plan, organize, administer, and direct the work of other employees.
- Development of administrative and programmatic procedures: Ability to analyze and make recommendations to management for new or revised administrative and program practices and procedures for smooth and efficient office operation.
- Skill in keyboarding/typing, using Microsoft Word or equivalent software, sufficient to produce memos and correspondence in an efficient and timely manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
- Organizational skills sufficient to manage multiple projects simultaneously, delivering results and meeting deadlines.
- Working knowledge and expertise in computer software applications such as Microsoft Office, Outlook email and calendar management.
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to interpret numerous, complex rules, regulations, and policies. Demonstrated independent problem-solving ability as each situation is generally unique.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in professional web page design and development to meet communication goals using web publishing programs and social media platforms.
- Experience with workflow and process management. This would include process mapping and creating procedures based on the process at hand. This individual should be able to identify areas of waste in a process and work eliminate whose areas. Experience with creating standard operating procedures.
- Experience in an academic environment and/or Minnesota State System.
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Work safely at all times, which includes but is not limited to, participating in and completing all required safety trainings, as well as performing all job tasks in accordance with Minnesota State University, Mankato policies and procedures utilizing appropriate tools, equipment and personal protective equipment.
The Minnesota State University, Mankato Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available for your review. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the University. The policy statements address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security. Three years’ worth of statistics are included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on-campus, or in other University affiliated locations. This report is available online at https://www.mnsu.edu/university-life/health-and-safety/university-security/personal-safety-and-alerts/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report/. You may also request a paper copy from University Security at 507-389-2111, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment information for this position can be found in its collective bargaining agreement or its plan document at http://mn.gov/mmb/employee-relations/labor-relations/Labor/.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status. We also take the opportunity to recognize that we live, work, and learn in the homeland of the Dakota people, whose language frames our name – Minnesota State University, Mankato.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance is needed.