Job Title: Library Clerk – Part-time
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 06/20/17 11:59 PM Central Time
Salary: $14.13 – $18.45 Hourly
Job Type: Part Time
Location: Library, 100 E. Main St., Mankato, Minnesota
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
Under direct supervision of the Director of Library Services or Assistant Director, this position is responsible for assisting in carrying out the work of the library. Responsibilities include providing excellent customer service, providing assistance and guidance to library patrons, assisting patrons to utilize library services, and maintaining library resources.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides Excellent Customer Service. Greets, answers, and refers questions of the public and customers in a courteous, welcoming, and professional manner. Conducts customer service in person, by phone and through e-mail. Provides administrative support as needed.
• Provides Assistance and Guidance to Library Patrons. Provides instruction to and assists patrons in the proper use of library equipment, materials and resources. Assists patrons by answering questions using library resources, suggesting reading materials, and by locating materials in the library or through inter-library loan.
• Assists Library Patrons to Utilize Library Services. Checks library materials in and out, renews materials, reserves materials and processes fines for patrons. Processes new library cards and renews expired cards. Notifies patrons of the availability of reserved materials. Processes reservations of library services and inter-library loan requests. Processes the incoming and outgoing courier items.
• Maintains Library Resources. Records, inspects, checks in returned materials. Works with Assistant Director to assess appropriate damage fees to patron accounts. Performs minor repairs to books and magazines. Checks in new issues of periodicals and newspapers. Prepares new materials for shelving, including barcoding, typing labels, and plastic covers. Sorts and shelves returned materials and maintains library shelves in neat clean order. Assists in ongoing maintenance of collection, weeding and discarding materials from the catalog.
• Opens building. Turns on lights and equipment. Secures Building at Closing Time. Turns off lights, computers, copy machine, and other designated equipment. Makes sure building is secure.
• Performs a Variety of Miscellaneous Duties. These duties may include but are not limited to answering phones, making arrangements for use of library facilities, assisting patrons with the copy machine, etc. Assists in maintaining library facilities by; picking up toys; straightening books on shelves, chairs, newspapers, and magazines.
• Interacts Positively with Internal and External Customers. Communicates and interacts effectively and respectfully with employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, volunteers, and customers.
• Performs the Physical and Mental Demands of the Position.
• Attends Work During Regularly Scheduled Hours.
• Directs individuals to safe place during natural disasters.
• In the absence of the Director or Assistant Director, assesses building situations and contacts appropriate agencies to handle the situation. Assesses patron emergencies, and gets attention when needed. Fills out incident forms.
• Performs Other Related Functions as Apparent or Assigned.
• High School Diploma / GED
• Two years post-secondary education OR
• Two years customer service experience working directly with customers in a fast-paced environment (food service, retail, etc.)
• Experience working in a library.
• Experience working in education.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Must comply with organizational and departmental policies and regulations.
• Must comply with data practices policies and standards relative to not public data. Any access to not public data should be strictly limited to accessing the data that are necessary to fulfill the employment responsibility. While data are being accessed, incumbent should take reasonable measures to ensure the not public data are not accessed by individuals without a work reason. Once the work reason to access the data is reasonably finished the not public data must be properly stored according to county policy and the Minnesota Statutes.
HOURS OF WORK:
Variable hours, not to exceed 29 hours per week. Evening and weekend hours will be required. Hours of work are structured to meet service demands and the needs of the public served.