Salary: $13.82 Hourly
Location: Douglas County Library, Alexandria, MN
Job Type: Full Time – Regular – 40 hrs/wk
Job Number: 10200:10/05/2018:FT
Closing date and time: 10/22/2018 at 8:00 AM Central Time (US & Canada)
JOB TITLE: Library Clerk
STATUS: Full Time
Responsible for all duties for maintaining circulation, including the checking out of materials, checking in and re-shelving return materials and assisting with other library operations, as directed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of those specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
• Deliver and get mail from post office box daily. Sort mail and distribute to appropriate departments.
• Check in all newspapers daily and distribute for patron use. Notify library clerk/data entry if any are not received daily/monthly.
• Check out books, magazines, audio and video discs, and other materials using automated computer system. Checking same materials in, and processes involving lost items, refunds, claimed returned items, plus collecting fines and payments.
• Shelf reading, shelf maintenance, and empty book drop returns.
• Reliable, predictable attendance and punctuality.
• Comply with all rules and policies in order to maintain a safe work environment.
• Other duties, as assigned or apparent.
• Access to Not Public Data:
The incumbent may encounter not public data in the course of these duties. Any access to not public data should be strictly limited to accessing the data that are necessary to fulfill the employment responsibility. While data are being accessed, incumbent should take reasonable measures to ensure the not public data are not accessed by individuals without a work reason. Once the work reason to access the data is reasonably finished, incumbent must properly store the not public data according to the provisions Ch. 13.
• If a new work assignment requires access to not public data, the incumbent is permitted to access not public data for the work assignment purposes only. Any access to not public data must be strictly limited to the data necessary to complete the work assignment and after the assignment is completed, the employee’s work assignment no longer requires access.
General Job Duties
• Assist patrons with directional questions in the location of library materials.
• Assist patrons in operating copy machine, Public Access Catalog (computer), fax machine, and self-checkout.
• Register new library patrons on the Horizon automated system, issue and collect fees for replacement cards, and provide information about library rules and services.
• Assist in processing video and audio materials, compact discs, mending same and maintaining the collection.
• Reserve requested materials using the Horizon terminals, and notify patron when material is available.
• Move magazines yearly, newspapers monthly.
• Assist computer lab patrons with general questions about computer use.
• Assist with the delivery process.
• Printing and mailing notices for overdue, lost, damaged and reserved items.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
• Ability to serve/assist pleasantly and effectively library patrons (including people of all social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds) and situations.
• Proficient clerical and office skills, with general typing ability and computer skills.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, & QUALITIES
• Ability to pay attention to detail in all aspects of work.
• Ability to follow directions or take direction from supervisors.
• Ability to be self-motivated.
• Must be able to lift 20 lbs. (see also physical demands below).
• Previous paid work experience as a Library Clerk or closely related position in a library.
• Previous volunteer work in a library.
• Previous paid work experience as a customer service representative, front desk clerk, help desk, or closely related position.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, & QUALITIES
• General knowledge of library resources, materials, and procedures.
• General proficiency in using Microsoft Word.
• General proficiency in performing internet searches.
• Ability to clearly explain to others how to use/operate e-books.
Indoors 99% of work time. Exposure to basic office, computer, and audio/visual equipment. Works with and around others constantly.
Monday to Saturday, 40 hours a week scheduled between 5-6 days, shifts are between 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Physical Demands can involve, but are not limited to:
Lift, push, pull while stationary 1-20 lbs. frequently. For example: books, library materials, shelving materials, and checking library materials in and out. 20 lbs. to 30 lbs. occasionally. 1-20 lbs. carried, pushed, pulled while moving about by carrying or using a book cart frequently. 21 lbs. to 100 lbs. occasionally using book carts.
Near, far, depth, color, and field of vision are used constantly for performing library clerk functions. Talk, hear, and read constantly. Sit when checking books in and stand when checking out books, both on a frequent basis. Walk and move about constantly. Crouch, stoop, and kneel frequently when shelving books. Climbing on step stool when shelving occasionally. Constant handling of materials and computer use. Constant grasping of library materials. Constant use of fingers for typing and turning pages of book. Constant reaching for library materials, answering phone, opening doors, etc. Constant feeling and smelling for sensing damaged library materials.
See also Physical and Environmental Factors Form.
EXAMPLES OF EQUIPMENT USED
Book carts, book drop, computer, printer, paper cutter, copy machine, and other office equipment, library material check in/out stations, Public Access Catalog (computer), fax machine, and self-checkout.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of Circulation Clerk Supervisor/Adult.
Supervision Exercised: None
Labor Group: Non-Union
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
EEO Job Category: Paraprofessional
Work Comp Code: 8810
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.