Salary: See Position Description
Location: Eagan, MN
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: County Library
Job Number: 4107.17.001
Closing: 9/22/2017 4:30 PM Central
POSTING TYPE: Open Competitive
HOURS: Full Time
HIRING RANGE: $46,150-$51,918/year (Grade 106)
SALARY RANGE: Click here to view full salary range
LOCATION: Burnhaven Library in Burnsville, MN
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on September 22, 2017
Come join us at Dakota County and “Be more”! The work County government does is unique. You will not be just another employee; you’ll be a valued employee making a difference in the lives of Dakota County residents every single day. We employ nearly 1800 skilled individuals whose talents and contributions makes Dakota County a premier place to live and work. Will you be the next person to join us at Dakota County?
Applications received for this recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies at all Dakota County locations for up to one year. Currently there is one vacancy at the Burnhaven Library in Burnsville, MN.
Working under the supervision of a Branch Manager, the Circulation Supervisor directs and supervises circulation staff and functions in a large or medium sized branch including selecting/orienting new employees, scheduling staff and assignments, and evaluating job performance. The Circulation Supervisor possesses a high level of knowledge of Library automation systems, assists with Library system applications, conducts staff training, and provides input into system decisions.
· Associate degree in related field
· Two years of progressively responsible library experience with supervision.
· Bachelor degree in related field
· One year of progressively responsible library experience with supervision.
· An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management-approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Manage circulation staff operations in large and medium branches and support branch operations.
• Determine work schedules, duty assignments
• Evaluate individual job performance
• Coordinate training programs
• Provide solutions for personnel problems and issues
• Determine needs for new or replacement equipment and materials
• Evaluate and determine eligibility and non-profit status for the use of the library meeting rooms
• Provide input for layout of branch collection, equipment, and furniture
• Equipment troubleshooting
• Monitor branch supplies
• Oversee tax form distribution.
2. Supervise and perform all circulation functions in a branch library and provide exceptional customer experiences, including:
• Check-in and check-out of materials, registration of borrowers, explanation of policies, collecting money for fees, searching lists, processing delivery and materials, and related duties.
3. Possess and demonstrate an in-depth working knowledge of Library system/catalog, software applications and computers to assist staff in providing service
• Create training programs as well as manuals and other written guides
4. Mediate problems and concerns of individual circulation staff members in order to assist them in performing their jobs and supporting library operations effectively
• Facilitate resolution of work relationship issues that impact operations
• Monitor duty assignments and make changes as needed to improve execution of workload.
5. Develop, recommend and maintain policies and procedures:
• Actively participate on internal and external committees including MELSA (Twin Cities metropolitan library systems)
6. Develop and enhance managerial skills
7. Carry out emergency procedures, monitor building condition, and communicate problems to Facilities Management
8. Supervise cash collection and accounting in a branch library
• Monitor cash handling for accuracy and find errors
• Prepare daily bank deposits and weekly cash transmittal forms, as well as training backup staff in their preparation
• Work with and respond to questions from county auditor as needed
• Manage and work within budget
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
• Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills
• Demonstrated competence in computers and technology (hardware and software)
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with diverse populations (verbally and in writing)
• Knowledge of formulating and implementing policies, procedures, and programs
• Knowledge of organization of collections – alphabetical and Dewey Decimal
• Knowledge of basic math
• Organizational and management skills
• Strong leadership and critical thinking skills
• Ability to work flexible hours (evenings, weekends, and holidays)
• Ability to supervise and coordinate work of clerical support staff
• Ability and skills to perform detailed work within established timelines
WORK ENVIRONMENT: May require occasional travel. Work is performed within a County library system. Operation of office equipment such as personal computers, telephone, adding machine, photocopier and fax machines. Occasional lifting requirement of up to 25 pounds, pulling and/or pushing book carts, exerting force up to 50 pounds. Frequent standing, bending, twisting, stretching, crouching, reaching (forward and overhead) and grasping. Frequent wrist and finger manipulation due to high concentration of filing, compiling, calculating or computer work.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435
(contact 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday)