JOB TITLE: #1218 Library Cataloger – History Center
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Minnesota History Center, 345 W. Kellogg Blvd., St Paul, MN 55102-1906
SALARY: $3,580.00 monthly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (2,088 annual hours) position.
CLASSIFICATION: 08L Professional
HIRING MANAGER: Library Processing Manager
POSTING DATE: January 7, 2019
DEADLINE DATE: January 21, 2019
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: The Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS) seeks applicants to process and catalog published materials including print, cartographic, sound & visual, electronic, and microform items for the MNHS collections.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) create cataloging records and other finding aids in accordance with relevant national standards and MNHS guidelines so that the collections are accessible to the public; 2) assure that access points and subject headings are assigned in a consistent manner so the related materials may be retrieved effectively through the MNHS catalog and other external databases to which cataloging records are contributed; 3) keep cataloging records and other finding aids current so they accurately reflect the collections. Assure records accurately reflect collections so they are accessible to the public; 4) identify items requiring specialized physical processing so that they collections may be housed and preserved properly; and 5) serve as member of Auxiliary Reference team.
· Bachelor’s degree in library science plus three years library processing and cataloging experience OR an advanced degree plus two years library processing and cataloging experience or equivalent.
· Experience with OCLC Connexion Client.
· Experience with MARC 21.
· Experience with LCSH subject and Name authority headings.
· Experience with LC Classification.
· Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving, and time management skills.
· Ability to work independently and to ask questions as appropriate.
· Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including experience in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
· Physical ability to regularly lift, maneuver, and carry storage containers and items weighing 40 pounds as well as oversized materials.
· Physical tolerance to dust.
· Ability to keyboard for extended periods of time.
· MLIS degree plus at least one year library processing and cataloging experience in a professional setting.
· Experience with Ex Libris Alma.
· Experience with XSL.
· Experience providing public reference service.
· Knowledge of Minnesota Historical Society collections.
· Knowledge of Minnesota History.
· Familiarity with Minnesota history.
Should you have questions with the application process, email email@example.com or call MNHS Job Line at 651-259-3181. Applicants offered employment are subject to passing a background check as a condition of employment. EEO