Salary: See Position Description
Location: Burnsville, MN
Job Type: Various Hours
Department: County Library
Job Number: 47999.18.001
Closing: 8/16/2018 4:30 PM Central
POSTING TYPE: External – Open Competitive
HOURS: Part-time (20 hours week)
HIRING RANGE: $22.54 – $25.36/hourly (106 grade)
SALARY RANGE: Click here to view full salary range.
LOCATION: Burnsville, MN
UNION: AFSCME 693
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on August 16, 2018
Dakota County Libraries are currently seeking a candidate to fill the Library Associate position which supports reference and reader’s advisory services to assist library customers. This position assists the public and staff in the use of digital resources; promotes library services and materials through programming, public relations, community outreach, teaching and technology instruction; and assists in the management and maintenance of library collections.
Our current opening is at the Burnhaven Library in Burnsville and is a .50 FTE (20 hours per week) position. The current position will have a generalist focus on adult, youth and technology areas. The current schedule for this position is:
Saturday 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (8 hours)
Sunday 11:10 a.m. to 5:10 p.m. (6 hours)
Monday 5:40 p.m.– 8:40 p.m. (3 hours)
Tuesday 5:40 p.m. – 8:40 p.m. (3 hours)
• Bachelor’s Degree required, with classes or major in Library and Information Sciences preferred AND two years experience in a public library or similar setting preferred.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience working with diverse populations and customers with limited English proficiency
• Bilingual skills are desirable
• Experience working with digital technologies, particularly mobile devices
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Public Services- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to the public in person and digitally by adhering to Dakota County Library reference standards. Demonstrates an in-depth working knowledge of library catalog and circulation systems and library hardware and software applications.
2. Technology Assistance- Provides technology and library instruction to the public and staff. Assists the public and staff with technology troubleshooting.
3. Collection- Assists in the management of library collections.
4. Outreach- Implements outreach services to customers and the community.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
1. Knowledge of reference and research methods and materials.
2. Knowledge of library-related resources and technologies, including database and downloadable formats; ability to download apps and software.
3. Ability to present and support programs.
4. Ability to maintain assigned collection areas.
5. Ability to effectively work with the public, using strong customer service skills in public interactions.
6. Strong verbal and oral communication skills.
7. Ability to relate to community groups and leaders.
8. Ability to support library programs and services among members of diverse community groups.
9. Knowledge of library circulation and catalog software.
10. Ability to perform detailed work within established timelines.
11. Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with the general public, colleagues and teams.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed within a County building. Occasional travel to other library facilities may be required. This position requires walking, reaching, and bending on a frequent basis. Lifting requirement of up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis. Pushing book carts, exerting force up to 50 pounds, intermittently. Frequent wrist and finger manipulation due to high concentration of computer work.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.